Chronicles of Mikannie/Part 5

There was something about Mikasa Ackerman that she just couldn't shake. Compared to everyone else, she was obviously normal. She hopefully had ten toes, and fingers along with two eyes and ears along with one mouth and two nostrils. But despite that, she was different. Dark hair was common for those of her ethnicity and those eyes shouldn't provoke so much feeling in Annie but it did. She remembered when those eyes had landed on her once she had smacked Eren in the face with a dodgeball during gym class. Mikasa ran quickly to his side, those long creamy pale legs moved almost like blurs as her arms wrapped around Eren. Then those eyes turned to her briskly narrowed in anger promising a quick and swift death to whomever dared to touch Eren. Of course, he wasn't actually hurt just a little dazed and he was vowing revenge on the 'Titans' which was the name of their mascot and the name imprinted on the ball.

     Mikasa looked absolutely beautiful with her hair tossed into her face like that. The ebony black strands made the grey in her eyes even more startling causing her to swoon inwardly though she kept a dark glare on the outside. The two of them exchanged blows throwing balls and catching them. People had stepped off the court to allow them some room and Petra, the gym teacher, didn't bother to say anything as she was slightly worried about the safety of the court rather than the students themselves. It soon ended when a ball flew and nailed Christa in the face causing Ymir to be up in arms. Annie grew bored after that and Mikasa apologized before helping Armin drag Eren off to the infirmary. Even when Mikasa tossed her a glare over her shoulder before dismissing her, Annie believed that she was beautiful.

     Now she was sitting in her bedroom listening to old love songs that were playing on the radio due to the station manager's wedding proposal. Her heart began to thump wildly in her chest as she thought of Mikasa listening to these song with her. Perhaps she was still angry with her for hurting Eren but it would be nice to dream. She thought of how it would be to sit with Mikasa and do nothing but hold hands. No words needed to be said. They were very quiet and reserved people after all. But she believed that in the quiet of her room or maybe even Mikasa's room, the two of them would be able to tell each other everything. She wanted to know anything and everything about Mikasa.

     Why did she wear that scarf so often? Why did she protect Eren even when he was wrong? Why does she work so hard to maintain her figure, what is she fighting for? Why does she hate me?

     The last question caused her heart to ache and the malicious look in her eyes to reappear in Annie's mind. She gulped before shuddering and shaking her head to try and rid it from her mind. Hugging a pillow close to her chest, she imagined that it was Mikasa and gave a little smile squeezing it and trembling slightly. Why was she trembling? Her heart was beating quickly in her chest but it was also aching. Why was it aching? She was so confused and the music was causing her senses to blur and she was beginning to feel light headed when suddenly - a knock came at the door.

     "Annie? There is a visitor here to see you."

     Her father's voice came from the door before his loud footsteps signaled that he was walking away. She clambered down from her bed tossing Pillow Mikasa aside and going to the door. Whoever disturbed her thoughts on Mikasa was going to get a kick to the face. Sadly, that person had to be Bertholdt. The boy quickly dodged her swinging fist before holding his hands up in surrender.

     "Why are you here," Annie asked gruffly.

     In one hand, she noticed that he was holding a case of Snack Pack puddings while in the other he was holding a rather familiar bag.

     "W-Why do you have Mikasa's bag?'

     Bertholdt looked towards it before scratching the back of his neck.

     "W-Well, I thought that maybe you'd know where she'd live. I also brought pudding so that you wouldn't be upset when I came over. M-May I come in?"

     She stepped aside to let him in and the two of them headed to her bedroom where they sat and talked for a while. Annie ate her pudding and gave him glares out of the corner of her eye still miffed that he ruined her fantasy.

     "Why would you think that I knew where Mikasa lived?"

     Bertholdt jumped at the sudden question before his face turned a bright red and he began to poke his fingers together and mumble.

     "W-Well, you seem to be awfully interested in her. You always look at her during class and you smile a little when she is smiling and talking to Eren and Armin. Also in your phone when you let me borrow it that day, I remember on your notepad you were writing a letter to Mika- AH!"

     A spoon was thrown at him but it was stuck into the wall over his head. He began to tremble as a small shadow was cast over him. Looking up, Annie seemed so much bigger than she really was and it almost scared him. Then in an instant she regressed and was curled into a ball with her pillow to her chest.

     "Hey Bert," she asked in a small voice that he only remembered from when they were young.

     "Y-Yeah Annie?"

     "I think I'm in love with Mikasa Ackerman."

     Bertholdt almost suffered a heart attack.

     "W-Why do you say that?! I mean its not like you two talked before! Aren't you sure that this isn't a bit sudden?"

     Annie squeezed the pillow close.

     "She's very strong. She can keep up with me, Bert. She doesn't bow down or feel intimidated. She fights for what she wants. She's very pretty and she's kind and brave, the type of person who I can trade blows with and not feel frightened if they are okay or not. Mikasa is cool. She's very cool. I-I.."

     Bertholdt leaned close before his eyes widened seeing the vulnerable look in Annie's eyes.

     "I'm in love with her, Bertholdt."