29

Ethan

Skye stood there. Like always. I knew she'd have to leave soon, yet I didn't want to lose her. She was slipping away. And I couldn't stop her. She lost her job, and we both knew she had to go back to New York.

Another box of stuff packed up. Another day closer to saying goodbye. Of losing the smell of vanilla from my apartment. I picked up a polaroid from the last time I dropped her at the apartment. Our first kiss. The first of many. I smiled at it.

"Keep it."

"I can't do that." I tried handing it to her, but she pushed it away.

"No, Ethan. Keep it. There'll be another time to make a new memory. To take another photo."

"Don't you get it? You're leaving. there won't be another time!" I shouted. She stepped back from me, eyes wide. "I love you, Skye. I fucking love you. And I don't want to lose you."

"Ethan. I love you too, but I have no job. My life and dreams are crumbling down around me. I can't stay here. I have to go home."

We both knew it was true. That she couldn't stay here. And I wouldn't follow her. A tear fell to her cheek and out of habit, I brushed it away with my thumb. She leaned her head on my hand and shut her eyes. I kissed her. Again. And it felt just like the first time. She pulled away first and looked to the ground. I grabbed her chin and tilted her head back up.

"I know it's a bad time and a shitty idea, but please. Will you be my girlfriend?" I asked. "Please. I don't want to lose you."

"Ethan, I don't know," she replied.

"Please," I begged,  grabbing her shoulders. She pushed me off.

"I'd say yes, but.." 

"But what?" 

"Like you said. It's a bad time and a really shitty idea. But I will say yes because I know you won't take no for an answer."

And then she was there. And I was saying goodbye to her outside the airport. Tears fell from her eyes faster than I could wipe them away. I kissed her sweetly. And she cried into my shoulder.

"Skye. Everything will be OK."

"I know. And if you ever go anywhere where there's an Eden hotel, you can stay for free."

"What's that got to do with anything?"

"Nothing. You just can. My family owns the company. I'll put you in the system."

"Don't do that." I kissed her again. "Don't do that."

"I do whatever I want thanks."

"I'm aware," I said with a laugh. She slapped my shoulder lightly. "It's funny. If I ever felt upset or in need if a laugh, I went to your apartment. Because every time I went there, something crazy was always happening."

She smiled her intoxicating smile and I wrapped my arms tightly around her.

"Do you have to get on that plane? Can't we just get back in my car and you can stay at my apartment?" She laughed.

"Ethan, I really can't stay. Please let go of me." I loosened my grip on her and she stepped back. "I'll call you when I arrive."

She gave me one last hug and disappeared inside. I was left standing there alone as people pushed around me, more desperate to get somewhere. I contemplated what to do next. I couldn't just stand outside the airport forever. Skye was never coming back and as much as we could still keep in contact, it would never be the same between us. 

I turned around and walked off slowly, knowing full well that I'd have to move on and get on with my life. She was still my girlfriend and I was allowed to feel this way about her leaving. I had to tell myself that it was natural. And that things were going to be OK. And I knew in the back of my mind that it was true. I just didn't believe it. 

It was weird that it took so long for things to go this way. because from the beginning we both knew how we felt. I thought back to when I first met her. Sitting by the pool's edge with a paperback book in her hands. That red muscle shirt that was way too big for her. How she fought with me about paying for her own drink, but I still paid.

For the first time all day, I let myself cry. Real and valid tears fell to my cheeks in a constant stream. Because I knew I was going to miss her. And it was going to be weird without her.

Because I knew I would miss her.