ch.1 It's a different story

ch.1 

                       I sat there crying in the corner of my little cold room, shivering. I pulled out a cigarette and lit it, taking a puff of it. I was in big rouble now. I had stole some money from my dad while he was at work. I needed it for food sense he only feeds me enough for me to want more. I also starting selling drugs for money at school. I heard the principal call him. I'm so screwed. Just as I heard it go silent, the door slammed. I jumped and whimpered, putting the cigarette out quickly and hiding it. "Oh, Megan.." I heard my dad say. I whimpered and shrunk down more. Then the door to my room slammed open, showing the twisted smile from my dad. "Come here, sweetheart.." He said with a smirk on his face. I shook my head and backed away as far as I could. He growled and walked over to me and grabbed my wrist, yanking me up. "When I say 'come here'..you come here!" 

                         He held onto my wrist so tight it started to bruise. "Now what's this news I'm getting about you trying to sell my drugs?" I looked down, closing my eyes shut, looking away. He growled and slapped me across the face as hard as he could, causing me to bleed from the mouth. "Answer me!"

"F-For Money!...I-I did it for money so I could get food!"

            He grabbed my chin roughly. "You don't deserve food...you don't deserve the food you're given now..." I whimpered and tried to shrink away from him. He growled and pushed me down in the floor, leaving me there. He stomped out of the room and slammed the door, locking it. I whimpered and crawled over to my bed pulled out my bag, along with my phone. I climbed out of my window as quiet as I could. I jumped and ran away from my house. My younger brother was lucky. He left a month ago, and I knew where he went.

              I walked in the house and shut the door behind me. Ethan, my friend, was in the house at the time. "Where's Kenny?" I asked, tilting my head. He only shrugged and smoked his cigarette. I walked to the bathroom and started to clean up my wounds, wiping the blood away from my face. When I looked up back to the mirror, I saw that Kenny was behind me. I jumped and nearly screamed. "Kenny! what the hell?!" He didn't laugh, nor smile. He just stayed still and tilted his head. "Kenny?" I put a hand on his shoulder. "Have you ever heard of the legend?.." He said, making jump. "What Legend?"

"The legend..."

"Could you show me?"

              He simply nodded and walked out, walking to his room. Steven and Ethan was in his room. Kenny knelt down and grabbed a box under his bed. Ethan and Steven stopped talking and looked at Kenny, curious. I stood behind him, watching. He grabbed an old book. It looked like a journal that was homemade. He sat it down and flipped to a page with a sketch. It was a detailed sketch of something that was not human. It looked tall and slim. It looked like an panther mixed with a person that was on a lot of steroids. It caused me to shudder to the sight of it. 

"The Legend of Roadkill.."

"It's not a legend under the wheel of my car" Steven said, laughing softly.

"Not dead animals you dope..People.. This thing," Kenny pointed, "can kill you using the road."

"Meh..that's just an old fairy tale.." Katherine said by the doorway.

"I'll prove it's true.." Kenny said, standing now.

            We all looked at each other, giving the same look. "How?" Ethan said. Kenny flipped a few pages in the journal. "It says he lives not far from here..we can go search for it.." I rolled my eyes. "Alright, Kenny...I think it's time for you to go to bed.." I said, leading him to the door. Kenny shook his head but I kept pushing him to his room. "I know it's not a fairy tale.." He kept repeating. I laid him down and covered him up, moving his blonde hair out of his face. He had mom's hair; I had dad's. Mine was dark brown. "Now you get your rest, Kenny...I'll talk to you in the morning.." I got up and walked over to the light and turned it off. 

              I walked to the living room where everyone was. I saw Steven throwing Kenny's book in the fire. My eyes widened and I ran over to the fire and got it out, putting out what caught fire. I glared at Steven and held the book close to me. "What the hell!?"

"It's for his own good..that book has been getting to his head, Megan..and you haven't even seen half of it.."

"I don't care! Let a boy dream! He's fourteen years old."

"And you're sixteen...age is a number...but the mind is a different story."