CHAPTER SEVEN

Tilly

I dump the dirty water from the mop bucket in the sink, glancing over at Levi in concern as he wipes his watering eyes with a piece of kitchen towel. "Are you crying?"

Levi sniffles, "Fucking onions."

There's a big bowl on the counter with chopped onions, a knife and chopping board left next to it.

"Run your hands under the tap. It's supposed to stop the stinging."

"Our chef used to tell us to suck on a tablespoon. A load of bollocks," he says, coming up next to me to switch on the tap.

I step back. "My granny used to say that too. I'd always end up retching."

"Right," he shoves his hands under the water. "Is that Rosemary?"

I curse my big mouth and turn away from him to find the tea towels. "I better start washing up. The rush will be here soon."

"Tilly?" Levi responds.

"On second thought," I wander over to the fridge, pulling out the minced beef. "I'll get cooking the chilli con-carne."

Levi let's out a long breath, probably knowing not to push me. "Did you cook with your granny all the time? I never got the chance to spend much time with my Oma because she lived in Holland. I always looked forward to Christmas because she'd come over for three weeks."

My granny was my rock for a long time. We spent days together when I was a kid, baking, playing cards, picking fruit from the orchard not far from where she lived. I idolised her, which is why it hurt as much as it did when she decided that she was going to take my parent's side and forget I was ever there. But, in a way, I don't blame her. The drugs turned me into a different person.

"I don't want to talk about it," I say, pulling out the big skillet, adding oil and the meat. "Can you pass me the chilli powder please?"

Levi opens the top cupboard to get the large jar Pat keeps in there. "How spicy you gonna make it?"

I don't have a clue. "Two tablespoons?"

"Hmm," Levi peers over my shoulder, "go three for luck."

"Three? That's risky business."

All I need is to blow people's heads off with the spice and spend the rest of the night apologising to the customers and handing out jugs of cold milk.

"There's a lot of beef in there. I reckon it can handle it," he replies, nudging my arm when I stop at two.

"We could add it at the end after we've tried some," I say, smelling the spicy fumes already.

"Yeah, okay then."

He smiles when I turn to look at him, and I smile too. "Do you mind if I step outside for a minute? I want to call my brother to see how Bailey's doing after surgery."

I frown. "She had surgery? Is she okay?"

Levi pulls his phone out of his pocket and starts to walk out of the kitchen. "Yeah, she's got endometriosis. We're all silently worried because she's not so good after the anaesthetic. I just want to check in to be sure all is good."

There really is no need for him to be here tonight. Two more volunteers are coming in later, and Pat threatened to show her face to see if our cooking is up to scratch. There's a forty-eight-hour rule after any sickness, and she hates it. Always eager to be here.

"Why don't you head off up to the hospital. We can manage here tonight," I say.

Levi's eyes grow intense, and I struggle not to look away. "You sure? I'll be back for closing."