XXXV

"You better run, because I'm going to destroy you for what you've taken from me."
—Samantha Young

|•|•|•|

Ember shifted her weight from one foot to the other, going over the plan multiple times in her head before raising her knuckles to meet the wilting wood.

"Don't be such a pussy, DeLoughrey." She muttered, exhaling harshly before tapping three consecutive times on the door.

The woman rocked back and forth on her heel, glancing several times over her shoulder as if she was being watched. Muffled shouts of glee echoed through the thick wood, the all-too-familiar sound creating a dull ache in Ember's chest.

Finally, the door swung widely open, revealing an aging woman dressed in a floral sundress that barely grazed her knees, along with a pair of sleek black flats.

Ember's mouth went dry at the sight of her, eyes blinking several times to ensure that she was actually here...

"H-Hello," She finally croaked, thrusting her arm outwards to shake the elder womans hand. "We spoke on the phone?"

"Oh, yes! Come in!" The lady cheered, offering Ember entrance into the large home.

The thirty-year-old woman trudged over the threshold, her heart beating thickly in her throat as several small children scurried between her legs.

Ember let out a slight giggle at the children, lifting her left leg upwards just a tad so that they could slink right through without knocking her clean over.

She hastily followed the sundress-clad woman into the dreaded office, which still looked exactly the same, even after all these years.

Heaps of manila folders sat piled high on the surface of a deteriorating oak desk, which had several chips out of the left corner. The single broad window sat directly behind, mahogany curtains drawn to allow sufficient amounts of light to enter the room.

"Now," The elder woman began, collapsing onto her swivel chair as Ember lowered herself onto the carob tinted chair on the opposite side of the desk. "I know you mentioned that you're interested in Jakob, the boy we heavily discussed over the phone. If you don't mind, I'd like to begin the basic paperwork and then I can take you to see him."

Ember simply nodded, pink tongue darting outward to claim her bottom lip. Once fully wet, she tugged the skin tightly between her teeth, left foot tapping irritably against the carpet.

"Remind me of your name, darling?" The woman requested, a blue, ball-point pen held tightly in her clasp.

Here we go...

Ember cleared her throat before finally spitting out her name.

"Ember DeLoughrey."

Evelyn froze, gaze diverting to meet Ember's as the pen nearly toppled from her grasp.

"You're joking." She gasped, studying Ember's features as her thin lips pulled into a grin.

"No, ma'am." Ember weakly smiled, shifting uncomfortably in her chair. "It's really me."

"Well, I'll be God damned." Evelyn chuckled, exchanging glances between Ember at the paperwork as she began to scribble down her name.