Chapter 3 ~Caitlyn

Chapter 3 ~ Caitlyn

“Jessica, that’s so sweet, but really I don’t need a date.” I said trying to put up my best smile even though Jessica my girl best friend was really bugging me.

“What’s so wrong with Joo Chan? I know he’s Korean and all but he’s so much fun, and is the best dancer.” She said trying to hold her ten textbooks in her hands and also convincing me to date her dad’s best friend’s son.

"Look it’s just I wasn’t really planning on going to the dance anyway. I never do, I’m probably just going to sit home and watch a movie with Justin or Andrew.” I said telling her the truth. I really wasn’t lying. Whenever there was a dance at school, Justin and I would laugh and boycott the whole thing. Who really wanted to see people in love dancing with their significant others? I mean really I can watch that on T.V.

“Okay but you’re missing out.” She replied.

“Somehow I’ll manage to live.” I said putting my hand on my heart, like I was really sorry.

“Sorry how bad Dreamer was?” A familiar voice came up to Jessica and I by our lockers at school, and swung their arm around me.

“Justin, enough, we all understand now that you hated the movie. Are you ever going to leave me alone about it?” I asked staring up at him. I never realized quite how tall he was. He must have grown like 7 inches this past summer while I was a counselor at sleep away camp. He must have been over 6 feet tall. I barley came up to his neck. And I was 5”4.

“Oh hi, Justin…” Jessica said dreamily dropping two of her books. “Oh my gosh, I am such a klutz.” She said scrambling down to pick them up looking embarrassed.

“Hey, let me help you.” Justin said acting like a gentleman picking up the books, and handing them to her with a smile. I couldn’t help but look at Jessica.

“Thank you so much. It’s always nice to see guys helping girls. I thought chivalry was dead.” She said laughing uneasy as she waved and walked to her class. Justin and I had A.P. English together and the bell wasn’t supposed to ring for another five minutes.

“Justin, you have got to stop doing that!” I said smacking his arm.

“Ow! And doing what?” He said holding the injury I gave him.

“Being nice!” I said like it was the most obvious thing in the whole entire world.

“Do you want me to be mean?” He said really not seeing where this was going.

“No, it’s just I’m not sure if you can see it but Jess is crushing on you. And you being nice and helping her with her books is not nice, if you don’t even like her.

“How do you know that I don’t like her?” He said looking at me as if I really didn’t know.

“Wait you like Jessica?” I said incredulously. Not because Jessica isn’t crush worthy. I mean she’s pretty, and has that whole athlete’s body because she’s on the tennis team. But still how can Justin like her then more then a friend.

“I don’t know, why is it so important to you, kid?” He asks me leaning his arm on my locker so our faces were now inches away from each other. I had a sudden urge to touch his hair, but I stopped because that would be really weird. His breath was on mine and I could feel the electricity between our lips. It was like this magnetic force between us, and then I shut my eyes. This was bad, this was really bad. I needed to leave before anything happened.

“Bye Justin!” I said running down the hallway, not even caring that that was a violation of our school codebook.

“Caitlyn! Caitlyn why are you running?” He said calling from my locker but I couldn’t look back because if I did, I was afraid what I was going to do to him when I saw him again. Because in all my years of living. I have never felt like this. I have never felt like the way I’m feeling now, like I want to kiss my best friend.