Chapter 7

I've been accompanying Connor to his practice at the gym all week. I'd sit on the table behind them, watching as they practice. When practice was over, I'd wait as he gets changed and then we'd walk home together. However, as Christmas was just days away, Connor didn't visit the gym as much. Now he comes over to my house, bringing hot chocolate and movies with him. We'd sit up in my room until the sun rose. 

As the weeks pasted, Christmas Eve appeared quickly. I stayed up late that night, but I still awoke in the early hours of the morning. After brushing my teeth and hair, I slowly made my way downstairs, following the smell of bacon and eggs. 

"Merry Christmas," my mom said as I walked into the kitchen, handing me a plate full of food. 

"Merry Christmas," I mumbled back, rubbing my eyes as I sat down. 

"Connor said he wanted to stop by before he left town today," I said, taking a bite of my eggs. 

"That's alright, but we still have to leave around noon. Your uncle is having dinner at his house this year," she said. I nodded. My uncle, Joshua, usually hosts holiday dinners at his house. This year is no different. 

Just then, a knock sounded on the back door. I could see Connor through the screen, and I got up to open it. my mother leaving the room. I opened the door for Connor. 

"Merry Christmas, beautiful," he said, planting a kiss to my lips. 

"Merry Christmas," I said, smiling. 

"I have a girt for you," he said, pulling a box out of his pocket. 

"Awe, Connor. You shouldn't have," I said. He shook his head. 

"Well, I did. Now open it," he said, handing me a long thin box with a small red bow on it. I slid the bow off and opened the lid, gasping at what was inside. 

It was a necklace. The small, thin chain was a shining gold, with a heart locket handing off the end. I opened the locket, the inside filled with two tiny pictures. One of Connor, one of me. 

"Connor, it's beautiful," I gasped, pulling the chain from the box. 

"Just like you," he mumbled, taking the necklace from my hand. "Turn around. I'll put it on you." I did as he said, pulling my hair up so he could place it on me. The cold metal touched my skin as he locked the back of it, letting it drop onto my neck. 

"There you go," he said. I turned around, letting my hair fall back. 

"It's perfect. I love it, thank you," I said, playing with the heart on the end. 

"Your welcome, it looks great on you," he said, pressing his lips to mine quickly. It had become a habit for him, just to randomly kiss me. No, we aren't dating, but he still does it. "I have to go now, but I hope you have fun today." He kissed me one more time, for a longer amount of time, and left, shutting the door behind him. 

"You 2 are cute together. You are dating, right?" my mom asked, leaning in the door frame. I flushed a deep red. 

"No, we aren't," I mumbled, still playing with my new necklace. She shook her head. 

"You should be. Are those wedding bells I hear?" she teased, laughing. I laughed along. "I always knew you two would end up together, I just didn't know it would take this long." She turned and left the room, leaving me to my thoughts. 

-

"May's here!" a girlish voice called, wrapping her arms around me. 

"Alice, nice to see you again," I stand, wrapping my arms around her. Alice was 4 years younger than me. She has short black hair, shining blue eyes, and perfectly pale skin. We look a lot a like, except for the fact that I have freckles. She takes after me in many things. 

"I aced my math quiz, learned to play piano, and read The Hunger Games series," she said, a proud smile on her face. I nodded. 

"Good job, but you know that you don't have to be exactly like me," I said, she nodded. 

"I know, but I'm still gonna try." I laughed, walking into the living room with Alice and my mother close behind. 

"May, you've grown!"

"There's my girl." 

"My beautiful niece."

"My favorite cousin is here!" 

So many comments started once I entered the room. I smiled and kept my head down and went to the back of the room, where the rest of my cousins stood. 

"Hey short stuff," the oldest of us all, Samantha, said, ruffling my hair. I laughed. 

"Hey Sam." Sam was 22, the oldest of the cousins. She has very long black hair, blue eyes, and pale skin, just like the rest of us. 

"And May has finally showed up," Tieler said. Tieler was the tallest, looking just like the rest of us with his long hair falling in his eyes. He's the only other one in my family that has the same freckles I do. "Where's your dad at?"

"Dad's coming later. He was called into work today," I said, pushing the hair out of my eyes. 

"Where'd you get that necklace from?" Sam asked, pointing to my new piece of jewelry. I played with it. 

"Connor gave it to me this morning," I explained. She smiled. 

"Are you guys dating yet? It needs to happen," she said. I shook my head. 

"No, we aren't dating. Everybody says that, but we aren't." Sam shook her head and Tieler laughed. 

"It needs to happen very soon. You guys are meant to be together. You guys will end up married with 4 kids and a huge house and you oldest daughter will be just like you and your youngest will be a total girly girl and both of your boys will be great athletes. You'll be so proud, and Connor will be a great dad. You guys should date," Tieler said, 

"May, come here! I want pictures!" someone called from behind me. I nodded to my 3 cousins, going to take Christmas pictures with everyone else.