Chapter 2: Little Love

I stand up only to see a bunch of kids staring at me. I felt tears form in my eyes. One kid got up and picked up my books. I held back my tears and smiled a little. I told him thank you and took the papers from him. Our fingers touched a little and flowers started to sprout out of the ground. I stare at the flowers wide-eyed. I then look around to see if it was someone else. Nobody. Just me. I blushed a light color to see the boy that helped me with my books had flowers around him too. He smiled a bit "I'm John. John Laurens." I return the smile. "Peggy. Peggy Schuyler". A boy named Charles Lee was right behind us. He wasn't the nicest person you would ever meet. He was back there laughing away "wow Johnny boy! Your girlfriend is way too pretty for you! You're just an ugly little turtle boy!" I rolled my eyes but when I saw John he seemed hurt. They are just kindergarten insults. This is high school. I decided to say to Lee "Hey asshole, I don't see your soulmate anywhere. Maybe you'll end up a single!" His face turned red in embarrassment. He scoffed and swore under his breath but decided it would be a good idea to leave us alone. The teacher let us leave school early. The rule with soulmates is once you find your soulmate you have to spend the whole day with them to get to know them. John and I walked along on the side walk. Both my hands were gripping tightly on my bookbag straps. I could feel the nerves rushing in my body. I sighed which ended up coming out shakey. John turned to me with a slight smile and a little laugh. "Nervous much?" He asked. "Pretty obvious, huh?" I replied. He laughed and stopped and front of me. He grabs my shoulders lightly and looked into my eyes. "It's okay. I'm not mean. I'm not gonna hurt ya. Got it?". I nodded. He took his hands off my shoulders. I took a deep breath and released my hands from the bookbag straps. He put his hand in my hand. I jerked my hand back a little and then laced my fingers with his. Soon enough, we were holding hands.