Chapter Six

The next morning, I woke up in the bedroom. Last night, my dad never came back. I felt alone so I convinced Sally to stay and she can sleep in my room on my bed, but she said the couch was a better option. So I woke up and didn't find her. I thought she might be in the bathroom, but it was too early. I looked all around the house of her. She was gone.

I knew it. I freaking knew it. She was one of them. And I had let her sleep in my house. Worse, my bedroom.

'You're up!' Sally shouted as she entered the house.

Okay never mind.

'Where have you been?' I asked raising my voice, angrily.

'I went out to buy some groceries for us' she said as she went outside and picked up two bags of food.

'Oh' I said feeling guilty 'I really thought you left me'

'Why would I form an Anti-Cult with you and then leave you alone?' Sally said 'I'm not that type of person, Jade'

'I know, I'm just new to this' I said, she gave me a look.

'Making friends?' She asked as I nodded 'So am I'

I smiled at that statement. I can really trust her and I should.

'So, what are we making?' She asked as she put the bags on the counter. I smiled as we began to make our breakfast together.

'It's 2 already?' She asked as we were sitting in the backyard enjoying a good summer day.

'It is?' I asked as I checked my iPhone. It was really 2 and I still haven't heard from my dad.

'Time flies when you're having fun, I guess' She said with a big smile.

I smiled. 'I'm worried about my dad'

'Don't be. He's a grown man, babe' She said as she laid down on the bench.

'A grown man with a heart disease' I said ignoring the fact that she called me, babe.

'Have you tried calling him?' She asked.

'No, I-' I stopped myself 'Should I?'

She looked at me like the answer was obvious. I nodded and dialed his number.

'Jade?' He answered almost immediately.

'Dad? Where are you?' I asked.

'I'm in the meeting that I told you about' He said.

'Meeting? What meeting?' I asked confused. He never talked about a meeting. At least not to me.

'I meant hospital! Yes!' He said with pride.

'Dad? Is everything alright?' I asked with a worried tone.

And with that said, he hanged up on me. I froze and smacked my phone on the table beside me.

'Lying dad?' Sally asked almost scaring me, I forgot she was there.

'Not that,' I said and then stopped. What did I know? Is he telling the truth? Maybe Sally's right, maybe I'm dealing with a lying dad.

'I'm your friend, Jade' She said as she stood 'well, becoming one'

I smiled. 'You are'

'Then, tell me' She said 'what's up?'

'I think he's in some trouble' I said.

'Why's that?' She asked.

'He didn't want to come anywhere near this town one day, the next day he's suddenly interested about moving in' I said as my tears began to fall.

'It's okay' She said hugging me 'Let it all go away'

'And since we got here, he's always with this doctor from morning till night' I said 'I never get to see him. And he's now supposedly in a hospital'

'Well, maybe he is dealing with something?' She asked.

'Like what?' I asked, not meaning for it to come out as anger.

'I don't know, my dad dealt with alcoholism without telling anyone of us' She said 'we found out about it after he was dead'

'How did you know?' I asked.

'His doctor told us' She said as she looked at the ground, this was hard on her.

'I'm sorry, Sally' I moved towards her, but she moved fast that we almost kissed.

'Oh!' She said pulling herself away from me 'Well, it's okay'

'I don't think my dad is dealing with that, tho' I said changing the subject, the awkward subject.

'I know, I just wanted to let all out' She said with a smile.

'Have you ever had a boyfriend?' I asked, not knowing why I asked or where it had come from.

'Me? Pff, yeah like 3 or so' She said, maybe feeling a little cooler 'You?'

'None, actually' I said.

'Well, I didn't have any as well' She said.

'So you lied?' I asked with a smile.

'You know how we can be sometimes,' She said as she gave me a gentle push.

I stared at her eyes. I didn't know what I felt about her, but I felt something. And I wasn't annoyed by it.

'So where's the hospital your dad's in?' She asked.

'Huh?' I said as I realized she was here, again.

She smiled and I blushed. 'Oh, yeah. He said it was like ten minutes away from here'

'What?' She asked as she burst out with laughter.

'What?' I asked.

'There isn't a hospital around here' She said.

I froze.

'The nearest one is like an hour drive away from here' She said.

'Sally,' I said with shock 'Is there any doctor there named, Dr. Jason?'

'Jade, your dad is-'

'Is there a doctor named Jason?' I asked again.

'No, Jade. I worked there with my aunt' She said with an apologized look 'Jade, your dad is lying to you'

'Where is he, then?' I asked as I felt anger and worry burying my entire body.

'Jade, we better get going' Sally said as she got up and grabbed my hand.