Chapter One

Vanelsvile was never a quiet town, I mean I should know better. I lived right next to it, well until something awful happened. I was just a small girl when KS happened. KS stands for killing spree, that's what my father called it. A bunch of crazy people just went off and killed over 12,000 people in my town, Garnet. I was sitting on my desk writing an English report, I was in eighth grade. I looked out of my window, I saw the river that passed through our town and Vanelsvile. Near the river, I saw my friend- Kelly- and my neighbor-Jessica. Kelly was a blondie, which was my nickname for her. Jessica was a brunette like me. I never hanged out with Jessica, though. I only had Kelly as a best friend, I liked everyone in my school. But I only wanted one friend, which was Kelly.

I waved at them when they looked towards my window. Kelly gave me a quick nod and Jessica forced a smile. I was confused by their vibe. I didn't remember doing anything wrong to them.

I looked away to find my shoes, I wanted to talk to them. I found a pair of white and green slippers, not so fashionable but they were good. That's when it happened. A girl screamed from the outside, it came from the same place that Jessica and Kelly were in. I ran towards my window, I saw a person, a man probably, dragging a blonde girl into the back of his car. Right when he put her, he noticed me. He pulled something from his pocket while I was still staring at him. Next thing I know, the guy was waving his gun in the air like it's a normal thing. I blinked for a moment and then tried to find where he was now. Gone, he was gone. I started freaking out, I went and locked my room. I sat in my bed and tried to calm myself.

There was no shooting or any noise for about an hour or so. I thought the man was gone.

'Jade!' my mother called out loud. She was right behind my door.

'Mommy?' I asked in fear.

'They are coming! Stay calm and hide somewhere safe until they're gone, okay?' She said trying to remain calm herself.

I didn't say anything after that, I just slowly walked towards the door. I put my hand on the handle to open the door for her. I wanted her to be safe, or at least with me.

'No! Get away from me!' She yelled and that's when I pulled my hand away from the handle. Whoever they were, they got my mom.

'Who's in here?' A man asked knocking my door. I put my hands to cover my mouth.

'No one! Leave me alone!' She said with struggle.

A loud gunshot ringed in the hallway, I crumpled on the floor. I wanted to scream but I couldn't, I only lied on the ground crying without even making a noise, just tears falling out of my eyes.

'Jared asked for only 50, that was our duty!' a man said, there were two of them apparently.

'So? We killed 89 in this neighborhood! We sure will get some money after this' the first guy yelled with rage and pride. Like he won an award or something like that.

'Well The fear isn't about money, my friends' An old man said.

'Jared!' the men said at the same time. Whoever is Jared, he was here, in my house.

'We kill people, yes. But we don't get paid. That's why we came here, we are offering you our cult. We know you have the money, you'll be so good to us' Jared said.

'I can't betray my family!' Mom yelled. She wasn't dead, which was a relief and a worry at the same time.

'Then kill them, it's that simple' Jared said. For a few minutes, they were silent.

'Ha!' Jared said 'I got you!'

Another gunshot. That was the last noise I heard, before they were gone.

I walked towards my window again, I saw Jared- the one with the white hair, a man with a green ponytail and a man with blonde and black curly hair. The men were dragging my mom, who looked pretty much dead to me but for some reason I could see her breathing slowly. She opened her eyes without them noticing and looked at me. I wanted to scream, but she mouthed Vanelsvile before she smiled and closed her eyes.

My father came to the house after about two hours due to traffic, the police knew what was going on so they let everyone stay at work or school so they can be safe. I told him about mom, but I didn't tell him the entire truth.

That was 10 years ago back in 2006, Now it's 2016. And I still live with my dad, who is now ill because of a heart condition. I can't leave him, even thought I'm almost 24. But he needs me now more than ever. The doctors told me that every 4 or 5 hours I should give him his medicine and stay with him until he falls asleep.

This morning, before I even got to make breakfast, I got a call from the doctor. His name was Jason. He told me that he got a deal for a new home for me and my father in a city close by. I was thrilled until he said the name. That damn name, Vanelsvile. And that's where I almost had a heart attack. I told him that I should consider this with my father and then speak to him with our decision.

'Dad,' I called from my bedroom.

'Jade?' He answered worried. I ran towards his room and found him sitting on his desk.

'I- The doctor called. Dr. Jason?' I said.

'Yes, is everything alright?' He asked as he took off his glasses.

'Yes, it's just he got a deal, A house deal for us' I said with a smile 'It's in Vanelsvile'

'Well call him and tell him that I said no' He said, even though that statement relieved me I wanted to know why.

'Okay, I will but can I-'

'I said no, Jade. I don't want to move to that sick town' He said as he looked at me with worry 'KS's birth was in it!'

'It- it was?' I said with worry.

'Have you seen the news?' He asked as he turned on his TV and put on the news.

'It looks like The Fear has won again, not only they killed another family leaving their names on every wall in the house, but it looks like they have threatened the police of Vanelsvile' A lady said.

'How can you threaten the police?' I asked dad confused.

'It looks like they have dirt on the police. If the police are hiding something from us, why should we trust them? It's time to stand up for ourselves, people! We fought for better health care and we won, let's fight against this now!' The lady yelled and then fixed herself 'This was Emma J. speaking, back to you Grunter'

'That's how' My dad said answering my question that I almost even forgot I asked.

'So it's a no?' I smiled.

'You seem happy, why?' He asked smiling.

'I didn't want to go anyway' I smiled and then looked at the floor.

'Your mom would loved to' He said.

I froze. 'How did- what do you mean?'

'She always had a special place for that town in her heart' My dad said.

'Why?' I asked 'Does she know anyone there?'

'She went to college there' He said 'with that pig!'

'Who?' I asked, shaking.

'It's in the past, honey. Why don't you go and make us breakfast, I will help you when I'm done' He said as he gave me a kiss on the forehead and went to the bathroom.

I took a peak of his desk, his laptop was open. He was writing something to someone named Kai Spear which I never heard of. I closed his bedroom door and went to make breakfast.