Y.A.M ( 11 )

You are More ( 11 )

A/N:  Thanks so much for reading!  I actually reached 1000 reads for my story and it means so much!  I love my fans and I'm excited to share this journey with you....my story... You are More! <3

For the longest time, I stood by the large, green plant while everyone else continued chatting.  I kept a smile on my face with a half-eaten donut in my hand, and probably a single dollop of chocolate frosting on the corner of my mouth.  Most of the female teachers looked at me as if I was an animal, but in defense, food makes me that way.

Minding my business, I took another bite of the scrumptious donut.  My taste buds exploded from the delicious, savoring taste. 

“Yummy I see.”

I cocked an eyebrow, looking up from my donut.  Alec stands next to me, beaming.

“Hello, Alec.” I greeted with my mouth full.  I brought my hand over my mouth, hurriedly chewed, and swallow.  I returned a smile to him and he just chuckled.  He flickers his blue eyes down at the ground before meeting mine.  Then he hands me a napkin.

“You have a little something.” He pointed the napkin at the end of my lip and I’m thinking this is the moment he wipes the smudge and we fall in love, but nope.  He waited for me to grab the napkin from him.  Embarrassed, I grabbed the napkin and wiped my lips.  I crumbled the napkin in my hands and tossed it in the nearest trash bin.

“Thanks.” I huffed.

“No problem.”

I stood there racking my brain for several moments trying to come up with something to say.  I’m dying to ask if we ever met before the cemetery occurrence, but I didn’t.  More staff members entered the lounge and didn’t miss the chance of greeting Alec.

“You’re quite the popular one.” I whispered.

“I have been at this school long enough for everyone to know my name.  Maybe soon everyone will know yours too.” He assumed. 

Snapping my head up my gaze looked back into his piercing blue eyes. “Well lucky for me I went here when I was a teenager.  Everyone who knew me is long gone now.” I mentioned.

Alec smiled and waved at the male teacher entering the room.  He folded his hands in front of him and cocked his head at me.

“Well that can’t possibly be true, can it?” he asked.

I beamed. “When you see me hiding behind a trash bin, you’ll know then.”

Slowly, he ran a finger across his chin, before asking, “So how do you like your job?”

“Well I wouldn’t use the words like.” I mumbled.

“Oh come on,” he laughed, “Its got to be easier than teaching thirty, undisciplined students who want nothing to do with school for two hours.”  He gestured is arms in the air in exasperation.  He made a good point, but he doesn’t know why I took this job and how much of a failure I am at it.

“Maybe,” I sighed, “maybe.”

The doors opened and finally Mr. Walsh arrived.  He apologized for being late and everyone took their seats.  I noticed there were only enough seats for the original staff members.  I planned on leaving until Alec grabbed my elbow. 

He leaned in, practically breathing on my neck, and said, “You can sit on my seat.”

I spotted the empty chair that apparently had his name written all over it.