Licking Wounds

A bloody cry of pain resonated in the dark cold air, causing the crows and owls in the rotting tree. All that could be seen from these scratching branches was a small meager fire, made of the most meager of tinder that could be found at the bottom of the barrel, if barrels could be found naturally in the woods.

Solaria winced as she held in between her teeth a few tiny shreds of dusty cobwebs. By her side there was a small cup fashioned by branches and sticks, created by Sir. Montague. At least he was useful for healing. In this cup was a small amount of water, drawn from Solaria's splintering wand. Water was not her specialty.

"Miss Holly! I'd advise you not to move!" Montague hissed as he dipped more cobwebs in water. He turned to Solaria, "Hand me the comfrey and witch hazel."

Solaria nodded as she handed the skeleton the mix of herbs, her guilt weighing her down like a ton of bricks.

This was all her fault. All of this. Holly was sitting there with a festering wound on the entirety of her wand arm because she didn't stop to think that this mist is flammable. But, how was she to know such things? Perhaps the rancid scent in the air was to be a warning sign? But how can that be? It just smelled like rotten wood.

The second the herbs were applied to the raw and deadening skin Holly let out another cry, beginning to thrash from the pain. At this point, it was hard to distinguish the tears from the sweat on her skin.

Solaria staggered back, as she didn't feel the need to be kicked, even if she so deserved it.

She had warned Holly that she wouldn't be a good asset. Rather, she was a curse.

She should just go back home now.

"Well, we aren't going anywhere, not until that wound looks not so infected...!" Montague decided.

"We have to keep moving!" Holly objected, "We need to stop her, if the mist is getting stronger, so is her power! I refuse to let Merlot kill any more!"

"You won't be able to battle her if you can't even lift your wand arm!" Montague reasoned.

Holly used the tree trunk behind her to slide upward to her feet of which she staggered and wobbled to keep her balance. She clutched her arm, hissing in pain, "By the time we get to the mountain, it will be fine!"

If Montague had eyes, he would have rolled them, "No, we need to rest, we have been walking for a good long while! It wouldn't kill us to stop and eat, would it?"

"It really wouldn't..." Solaria agreed flatly.

Holly looked enraged, desperate. No, the word would be helpless. She was trapped in this argument like a scared kitten. All she wanted was to end this bloodshed for good. And Solaria knew Holly didn't care about herself, at that very moment...Holly was willing to die to watch the Maid in the Mist fade into nothingness.

"Fine."

Since they had already built a fire to see through their healing, all that was left to do was eat. Food was not something they had to look for. For in Holly's pack was apples and bread of rosemary, a meager meal but still filling.

But with every bite, Solaria could taste nothing. Even the ripe pink lady apples tasted like bland water soaked parchment, and the bread felt like a brick of bready bland on her taste buds. She forced the food down like the chore it was, there was no need to pretend that the food nourished her. Not even spiritually.

Montague grumbled as a chunk of bread fell through his gullet, never able to reach his stomach. Holly was the most hungry of the three, eating three apples, core and all.

Soon Montague fell asleep, an oddity considering there was no real body to rest nor a brain to dream.  But Holly and Solaria took the silence as a godsend. They sat in the given silence, watching the crackling fire and the amber shadows it cast in the misty air.

While Holly was brave enough to sit by the fire, Solaria stayed in the teeth chattering darkness. She didn't want to cause any more harm than she already had done.

Holly seemed to notice, "Come into the light, you must be cold."

"I'm fine here..." Solaria insisted.

"I can see the goosebumps on your arms, come sit by me."

Slightly nerved, Solaria meekly slunk to Holly's side. 

Witch Hazel scent hit Solaria's nose, only weighing her down more with guilt.

"How...are you not mad with me...?"

Holly glanced over at Solaria, not really phased, "What do you mean?"

Solaria buried her nose in her knees as she curled into herself, "I burned your arm."

"You did."

"Yes, I did..."

"Your point?"

"I didn't stop to think that the mist was flammable...if I had known..."

"There was no way you could have known..." Holly chided, "And yes, I will admit I am in immeasurable pain, you are not responsible for the mist who gave me those wounds merely the spark."

Solaria growled, "I am still responsible...I told you I shouldn't have come..."

Holly sighed, "No, you may have harmed me, but you had no intent. I need you still."

"Because you can't beat her yourself?" Solaria hissed.

"Yes...you think you've made a mistake? I broke the Witches Rede myself...using the soul spell to trap Merlot...causing harm...the spirits have cursed me. Only leaving me to grow vines and tiny spells that can only shatter weak lock spells by a thread...but if I can prove Merlot killed, I can regain my powers...they would see I did what I did in defense...and if they saw you, they would know how serious it is..."

Solaria nodded, "I see..."

"I can't stop Merlot alone, and with that fire spell...I...no...we...could stand a small chance..."