1/1

Lauren is a finicky cat.

She likes being pet.

But only during certain times.

And only when she's awake.

She hates people with big hands; they terrify her. Especially clumsy big strong hands that swat pats between her ears instead of smoothly running fingers under her chin.

She finds Camila, the neighboring dog, stupid.

"Hey! Hey! Cat! Pretty cat! Hey, Cat! Come play with me! Hey, Cat! Pretty cat! CAT! HEY!"

So stupid.

She glances over her shoulders, the sunlight's warmth on her back, and dismisses Camila with a roll of her eyes. Hopping down to the cement ground and ignoring the incessant barks.

She thanks God for fences, leashes, and doors.

She'd hate to have to listen to the dog inside her own home.

---
Lauren's owner has fallen in love with their neighbor Shawn, the owner of Camila.

Lauren flicks her ears back and hops onto a higher platform, intent on furthering herself from Camila, who stares at her from below, a big smile on her face.

"Hey, cat!"

Lauren yawns.

"Cat!"

Lauren sighs and moves closer to a corner, her tail disappearing from Camila's vision.

"Come play with me!"

Lauren's eyebrows furrow, she flattens her ears.

"Let's play!"

Lauren peers at the clock. Her owner is out on a date with the neighbor. Dinner dates mean movie nights. Movie nights mean five hours of Camila the dog.

Two more hours are left.

She doesn't understand why her owner and the neighbor presumed it would be sensible - cute in their own words - to leave the both of them alone together.

Her owner nearly shrieked the first time.

"It'll be like you're having a date along with me, Lauren!"

And Lauren had hung her jaw with wide eyes at the horrid remark.

"CAT!"

Lauren hisses. The damn dog will not shut up. She inches her paw forward, touches a book onto her right, and slides it until it reaches the edge, letting it sail to the floor.

She hears a yelp, a pathetic whimper, and no more of the barks.

Did the dog die?

Hm.

No, it couldn't have died.

Lauren snuggles closer to herself.

"Cat?"

No…

"Cat, can we play?"

Lauren bares her teeth, she is close to snarling, she is going to-

"Please?"

A whine follows, pitiful.

Lauren stretches, slits her eyes and condescendingly stares below. The moment Lauren's ears come into sight, Camila starts wagging her tail, the sore ache on her head forgotten.

"Hey! Hi!"

"How tall are you?"

"H-How tall?"