Chapter 1: a mistake

We walked, and walked, and walked some more. It seemed like it would never end. The person in front of me stopped"owwww!" They cried "Well you stopped first." I said raising my voice a little in reply. "We'll watch where you going." He said "damn kids." He muttered under his breath. "Ya know I heard that right?" I asked "weren't meant to, but I know ya did." He said that first part a little lower than the rest but it was still audible. The line continued to move for about an hour until we heard,"will resident number 57689 come to the front of the line please?" Come over the loud speaker. My heart started to race. I thought "that's not my number right?" I looked at my number on my black and white striped shirt, everyone had one on along with a pair of black shorts, and sure enough, it was my number, number 57689. I was given this number at birth and it was burned onto my back but we were required to wear a shirt with our number printed on it. I walked up to the front and everyone stared as I did. They asked me my number and I replied  "sir, my number is 57689 the number you called but, I'm not ready. I think you made a mistake." He retorted "kid, we don't make mistakes. Just get in there and do your best. Good luck." After that I could just barely hear him mutter "your gonna need it." I walked in with my heart racing more than ever and a blinding white light burned my eyes.