Chapter 1 Moving In

KORINA'S POV
*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP*
   My alarm clock screeches jerking me out of my slumber. I groan and pout, my hand groping blindly until it finally comes in contact with the alarm clock. The alarm clock soars through the air only to meet the ground with a loud crash. That's the third one this week. Sunlight peeps through the curtains, assuring me that I'll never get back to sleep now. I groan in protest and slowly push myself off the bed to get dressed. I quickly choose a light blue collared shirt and white jeans out of my closet. I rush to the bathroom to take a quick shower and brush my teeth. I shiver as the cold water hits my body, making me more awake. Then I put on some mascara and lipstick. I brush my hair back in a high ponytail and quickly set out with my deck in a small pouch hanging on my black belt. On my way out I grab a slice of buttered toast and my small backpack which holds my valuables.

  I arrive at the stadium in no time and sit in a random seat near the middle/top section. The stadium is large and has a second floor which acts as a balcony for the current students at the academy. I bend to see over the rail which acted as a fence and catch a glimpse of a guy with long brown hair wearing a uniform. Since there are so many people, I can't exactly sit by myself. I try to ignore the people in the stadium talking loudly and focus on the entrance exams. Most everyone hear should have already taken the written portion of the exam. Of course I know that I passed mine with flying colors. I watch other people duel for their exams  for a few hours while I wait for my name to be called. Finally I hear my name being called over the intercom. "Korina Smith, please report to the test site immediately." I get up and head down to meet the proctor. The proctor was a man with short black hair that had spiky front bangs and glasses. I use an Ice/Aqua Deck that I obtained when I was a little kid. I press the button on the bracelet on my left wrist and watch as a round duel disk with square card holders folds out from the top.

  "DUEL!" We both shout in unison and draw 5 cards. "Teachers first!" I hear the duel proctor say. Ugh. I can already tell this dude is full of himself. "I set a monster face down, in defense position, and set two cards face down. I end my turn." "My turn. I draw!" I look at my hand and look at the proctor with confidence. "I summon Dance Princess of the Ice Barrier in attack mode." "Next I'll also place two cards face down."  "Dance Princess of the Ice Barrier attack his facedown monster!" I shout. "Not so fast!" The duel proctor laughs. "I activate my trap card!"

In the end I won. The proctor hung his head, dripping wet and half frozen in defeat, then said "Congratulations miss Korina, you may now head back to your seat and wait until the end." Geesh, I hope that not everyone else here is as bad at dueling. I make my way back to my seat. Two others were still dueling at the time of my victory. Several more duels pass and before I know it, we're at the final duel. Apparently some kid named Jaden was super late, but they let him duel on the condition that his proctor had to be some hideous thing, that looked like they were cross dressing and wore lipstick. She wore a frilly uniform as well and had a strange accent. Suddenly she summoned some rare card. I heard some people from above talking about it. How it's supposed to be the rarest card of it's kind and it's very powerful. Well then. This should be over pretty quickly then, shouldn't it? Crowler mocked the boy for hanging his head low in defeat. But instead of being scared, or even in awe, the boy started laughing and even defeated the monster using a field spell. Everyone in the crowd looked shocked. Everyone except me. Pfft. That boy just won by luck. He's not as strong as everyone thinks he is. He comes back towards the two other people just behind me looking happy and excited.

  "Man that was awesome! I had no idea that the professor guy actually had a rare card like that!" I could hear Jaden say. Wait. Did he just say guy? And here I was thinking that thing was a female. Ah well. Beside him there was an even smaller kid with light blue hair and glasses so small I doubt he could even see out of them. Then there was a taller guy with grey spiky hair which was slicked back. "H-hey is there uh, any particular reason you're staring at us?" The blue hair kid questioned. Hm? Oh. They stopped their conversation. "Hm. No reason." I stated, giving them a bit of a cold look before turning back around. "Erm, ok then." I could hear Jaden and the others start talking again. I pull out my phone for the remainder of the time.