chapter 4

The next day

"Tenzin?" Liao asked towards the 40-to-50-something-year-old man, who was slightly taller than him.

"Yes, Liao?" Tenzin's attention caught onto Liao when the latter said his name.

"Can I go to the library where they keep all the scrolls? I'm kinda curious on the origins of the Avatar and Air Bending," Liao asked.

"I thought Korra would tell you about the origin of the Avatar," Tenzin replied.

"Oh. Then can I still get permission to go to the library to learn about the origins of Air Bending?" Liao asked.

"Sure. I don't mind," Tenzin replied, smiling.

. . . . . . . .

Liao stopped the instant he walked into the library. It was not large, but it was good enough.

There were a few Airbenders around the library, picking, and then, reading a book or a scroll.

One of them was Korra. When both made eye contact, Liao looked away, putting a hand in front of her, just as she was about to wave to him.

Liao instantly went to get a scroll labelled, 'The History of Air Bending and The Famous Air Benders.'

"Seems straightforward. I'll read this," Liao commented to himself, before walking to find an empty spot.

But before he could even do that, he heard a 'clunk' behind him, and when he turned to look, he saw another scroll on the floor, rolling towards him.

Liao, being curious, picked the scroll and looked at it. There were no labels on it at all.

'I'll just take this along,' Liao thought, before attempting to find an empty seat.

He soon heaved a sigh, upon seeing the only empty seat was beside Korra.

"Mind if I sit here?" Liao asked Korra. "Oh sure! I don't mind," she replied, smiling.

Liao nodded and sat right beside her. "Say, I was wondering about the Avatar. I've only heard stories about them. Seeing that you're the Avatar, can you tell me its origin?" Liao asked.

Korra stared at him. "Do you really wanna know?" She asked.

"Duh. Who doesn't?"

"Idiots?"

"So you're saying they're idiots?"

"No!"

"Okay! Tell me the origin of the Avatar then!"

"Idiot," Korra muttered to him, but Liao pretended to not have managed to listen to it.

Korra soon told Liao about the first Avatar, Wan, and his entire lifetime, protected by the spirits, and becoming the Avatar.

"Wan is really interesting. . . I kinda see irony in his name too," Liao commented.

Korra stared at him, confused. "Wan. One. I'll be surprised if you don't get it," Liao continued.

Korra's face lit up. "Ah! I get it now!" She said, smiling. Liao looked away, his face slightly red.

He then went and read the scroll with no label, and raised his eyebrows at all the words and sentences in the scroll.

"This scroll is something like poetry. I think," Liao said out, giving it to Korra.

"Oh yeah. I haven't gotten your name yet," he continued. "Korra," she simply replied, reading the scroll.

She looked at all the words and sentences and blinked. "This isn't poetry. This is a prophecy scroll!!" Korra said out loud.

Liao shut Korra's mouth with his hand instantly, as they were given stares and glares from the few people in the library.

"Sorry," Korra commented. "But it's true. It says here, 'When the one place turns for everyone, only one can take it back, or let it be,'" Korra continued.

Liao remembered the incident where the third Spirit Portal had opened in Republic City.

Not to mention, former leader of the Earth Empire, Kuvira, was the one who attempted to bring the Earth Kingdom together, but aborted the mission.

"Another one. 'A single Airbender will live when all die by flames, and will bring justice once more.' Aang, the previous avatar," Liao commented.

"What's this?" Korra said, pointing to the last two sentences of the scroll.

"'The Destined Dual Bender will appear before the Avatar. He will help her defeat her previous enemies, and help her friends, before the world is engulfed in chaos.' What?" Liao said.

"Her. . . It even described who the Avatar is. Tan skin, black hair, an original Waterbender. . ." Both Liao and Korra stared at each other, blinking.