Draft Day

It was draft day 2018. The large room in New York was filled with nervous college girls, itching to finally live their dream. Y/n bit the inside of her cheek. She really had no idea if she would be drafted or not. Sure she had gotten praise, but that doesn't exactly mean she will get drafted.

Commissioner Amanda Duffy walked onto the stage. "With the number one draft pick is the Washington Spirit. They have made the decision to draft Stanford Midfielder Andi Sullivan." The room erupted into cheering.

The lanky female was greeted on stage with a Washington Spirit scarf. She gave Duffy's hand a firm hand shake. Once at the podium Andi began speaking.

"Wow, this is something I have dreamed of doing since I was little. I want to thank my parents, sibling, friends and everyone who has shown me support over the years." She paused, smiling brightly at the cameras pointed at her. "I don't want to make this whole little "speech" about me. For any little girl, tween girl or teen girl watching this, just know that this achievable if you pour your heart and soul into it. I believe in you. You never know what a little belief may do for you in the long run." Andi concluded her speech with a wave.

Sure it was a little speech, but It would mean a lot to any girl who has dreams of playing pro.

"The North Carolina Courage you have five minutes on the clock." Duffy announced.

Y/n felt her stomach swirl. Number one draft pick is gone. It's only down hill from here.

Four minutes and twelve seconds of agonizing pain had passed.

"The North Carolina Courage has made the decision to draft South Carolina goalkeeper Y/n L/n." Said Duffy.

Y/n couldn't believe it. As she hugged former teammate Savannah McCaskill her heart sped up. The keeper uneasily walked to the side of the stage where she was given a NC Courage scarf. Y/n climbed up up the steps to take a photo with Commissioner Duffy.

After the photo she made her way up to the podium.

You can do this. If you have played a whole game with a broken nose, this should be a breeze.

The female's eyes drifted over the crowd. There were quite a few people she knew. And there were a lot of people whom she had yet to meet.

"I have no possible way to make a speech better than Andi's."

The crowd chuckled.

A smile grew on Y/n's face upon hearing the laughter. "I have always wanted to play soccer, but I never knew I could get this far with the sport I love. Thank you NC Courage! You guys know how to make dreams complete. Before I go I would also like to thank my siblings. Without them I wouldn't be the woman I am today." She blew a friendly kiss to the crowd then waved.

Upon exiting the stage she was lead out by a security guard who looked pretty unamused by everything.

What? Standing on the other side was Sam Mewis, Lynn Williams and Taylor Smith. Oh...my...God.

Taylor looked up at Rebecca and held out her hand. "Taylor Smith, welcome!"

Rebecca shook her hand. "Y/n L/n."

Sam was the next to introduce herself. "Sam Mewis, welcome to the Courage." She flashed a smile to the keeper.

She flashed a smile back and shook her hand.

"I don't want to make this feel like a business meeting." Commented Lynn, goofy smile on her lips. "So come here for a hug!"

Y/n cocked an eyebrow but still hugged the forward. It was a short and sweet hug.

Taylor clapped her hands together, idea in mind. "We should go out to eat after this draft with the other draftees."

Lynn and Sam glanced at each other. They seemed a little unsure.

"That seems like a good idea Taylor, I'm down for it." Y/n replied. "I can pay for myself of course."

"So, what do you two say?" Egged on Taylor.

Sam placed a finger to her lips, pretending to have a long think about the idea. "Sounds good Tay, I'm in."

Lynn piped up, "You can count me in as well."

"Alright, so Y/n meet us at the entrance and we can get maybe just walk to a restaurant near by. We are in a pretty lively city, so it should be pretty easy to find somewhere to eat." Taylor decided.

Y/n just kindly nodded.

The tall blonde's eyebrows went up in what Y/n assumed to be surprise. "I need a picture of all of us for a project I'm working on." Sam pulled out her phone. She held out a long arm to take a selfie.

Not really knowing what pose to do, she ultimately decided on doing a one handed peace sign.

"Awesome, I got it! Alright, see you later Y/n." Sam waved.

"Yeah, see you guys later." She gave a wave of her own before walking back into the drafting room.

On the clock was two minutes left for, according to Savannah, Orlando Pride.

Wow, just wow.