The Counterpart

Okay angels. I'm sorry. I have no idea where I'm going with this book. I'm thinking maybe three more chapters and then it's done. I hope you've enjoyed it so far and thank you so much for all the support. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ban POV

"Ban, you seem like a pretty cool dude." The devil crosses her legs and flips the pages of her book. "But I can't let you or your little fairy friend go."

She wears a black shirt, a red plaid flannel, and black pants. Her toes are painted black and red, matching her makeup color palette. Seeing as I am checking her out, her bright green eyes slowly drag up to meet mine. "Stop it." She groans.

"Gosh, man! It's so boring in here. There's nothing to do!" I cough, unable to cover it with my sleeve. My arms and legs are in shackles, and I expect Kings are too.

"Sorry, baby. No can do. Now, shut up. I'm trying to read." The devil retorts, her eyes turning from green to an orange.

"Woa, devil lady, what's up with your eyes?" I ask, noticing the little pinch of fury bubbling up in her eyes, now turning crimson.

"My name is Alexis, not...devil lady, and they just.... do that, okay?! I don't really know why. Now, shut up!" She continues to flip through her book and pout. "This book is really interesting."

I let out a deep sigh. "Well, m'lady... what's it about?" I roll my eyes, unable to believe I'm actually trying to engage in conversation with a devil.

She only responds with silence.

"Alright then. Where am I?"

"Central Abbadon Prison. Shut up." Her monotone voice barely squeaks out from behind her book. Out of her left breast pocket, she takes out a red ballpoint pen and starts to write in the book.

"What the heck are you doing?" I growl, wanting an actual answer. She was clearly ruining the book.

"I'm doing schoolwork, idiot." She snapped, violently circling a word over and over.

"There are schools here in hell?" I rolled my neck, hearing the snaps of each of my vertebrae. I knew there were schools over in Britannia; of course I never attended one. Schools are for people who believe they need to work for a good life. Some people are just lucky. After hearing about all twelve to twenty YEARS of schooling, I guess they AREN'T the lucky ones.

"Sweetie..." Alexis's eye twitches as she slams the book closed and chucks it to the table where it lands with a large *pow*. "This is where school originated. Now if you don't mind..." Alexis stands up, becoming much taller than I expected. She floats above my head at least three inches up, her long auburn hair covering her eyes. Her green eyes flash scarlet, her hand spiking out to a menacing claw. "I'm trying to read." Her claw strokes down the side of my arm, a bead of blood trickling down my arm. Her smile peeks out from under her hair, revealing an expectant smile.

"Does it...hurt?" Alexis laughs, watching the blood trail.

"Nah, not really." I wipe the blood off with the wall and reveal the wound had completely patched up.

Suddenly, Alexis shoots down to about 5'2" and her green eyes look up at me. "I really like you, mister."

I blow my hair up from covering my eye. "Thanks" I sneer.

"Oh, there you are!" A voice shouts from the doorway. Meliodas stands there, his demon mark activated. The purple and black flames eats away at the air surrounding him. "Oh, hey. Thanks for taking care of my best friend. I can take it from here." He winks at Alexis as he casually pulls the shackles off of my arms.

"Now, mister, you can't take him. I had orders from Captain Zeldris not to let him go. He'll give me demerits." Alexis grabs her tote bag and swings it around her finger. "I've never gotten any; it's a school record. And I'm not gonna break the streak."

"Sorry I'm late!" King ran into the room as well, out of breath.

"Oh, happy you made it! Can you help me out with this little sunbeam?" Meliodas smiles, undoing the last shackle.

As I am released from my stretched out position, I roll my wrists and stretch out my arms. "Ah..." I growl, "Thanks Captain. M'lady, I'm glad you like me but I've got a future wedding to help plan."

I twirl my newly released weapon from my pant pocket ready to fight alongside him, but Meliodas snatches it in one blow and motions for me to run...like he knew her and her power. "Run." He warned. 

"Captain, you're talking to the unkillable man! You're telling me to run?!" I laughed, my attitude never diminished by the shackles. Years in prison got me nowhere on the sassiness spectrum. 

"Elizabeth is somewhere and I'm currently the only one who knows how to take down this chick. Run. Please. If you call yourself my best friend, then book it until you reach whatever portal they've made to get to where we were, grab Elizabeth and the others, and get back to Britannia as fast as you can, Sin of Greed." The slight flicker of purple around his eye and arm screamed he was being serious. 

I nodded, grabbed King, and booked it out of the prison as fast as possible. 

"Where necessarily are we?" King asked, conveniently perched on my back. 

"My question is why aren't you using your Chastiefol?! That's way faster than me." I snapped, annoyed as heck for Captain brushing me off and King putting extra weight on my back. 

"I will use it only when necessary, Ban. I don't want it broken like before." I didn't know the before, but I trusted him enough to continue running. 

Walls of reddening brick built a majestic castle towering above the faint light illuminating the place. The floor felt hot against my shoes, the rubber-like soles slowly melting with each step. Steam seemed to float around in the air as if the torches weren't enough fire. A yellowing light hovered above our heads, but it wasn't the sun. Artificial. Demon-made. 

We approached a small brick circle, one stone brick out of place in a nearby burning bush. 

"Put it in." King coughed. 

"Why exactly? It's just a random circle."

He sighed and slipped his face into his hands. "That's an old fashioned fairy circle, Ban. If they have one here, then there must be a portal connected with it." 

"Well, then...let's try it."