Chapter 4: Lonely Roads

-Dedicated to @zoyaaanicol098 for the support! <3-

Our feet were dangling outside as we sat on his window sill, smoking, when Jordan got a text from Simon at 12:45 a.m. "Clock tower, now." it said.

I jumped off his window onto the dewy grass. He threw our baggages down and I caught them. He looked back at his room for a second and jumped down, and we ran in the dark, on the gleaming streets. We reached the clock tower five mins later.

"Since when did you and Simon become buddies?" i asked him as I leaned my back onto the tower, balancing on one leg, resting the other on the bricked tower wall.

He interrupted his gaze at the empty streets, to look back at me. Then averted back to his former gaze as he replied, "The guy has the car and he's got the money." He paused. "We dont have any kind of friendship, just mutual interest." he continued. I gave half a nod and joined his gaze at the street, waiting for Simon to show up.

A red, 1966 pontiac GTO, flashed its headlights, as it drove closer, and came to a halt near us. I touched the little cement imprint of Fiona's palm, and I thought that was goodbye. For now.

Simon looked at us from the driver's seat. He was sweating from his forehead, sweat almost dripping onto his round glasses. He looked petrified. "Im driving" insisted Jordan walking towards the car. Simon got off the driving seat without hesitation. We threw our bags to the trunk of the car. However, I continued to hold onto my backpack with the essentials. Simon got in and lied down on the backseat. I didnt even have to call shotgun. I sat on the front passenger seat as Jordan started the car. We drove off. I had no second thought about what I was doing. We didnt know where the hell we were going. Yet i had so much certainty about my decision to go on an ambiguous journey.

I stared at the Pontiac's dashboard. The tank was full. I suppose thats how we all wanted to feel by the time it was empty. I played Lana Del Ray's "Born to Die" on my phone, my legs folded on the seat, I put my head out through the window, my palms clinged on to the shutter frame. I turned my head towards the retreating town of ours. My hair flying with the night wind. I closed my eyes. Her song echoed through our souls as we drove through the night.

*********

We had been driving for miles, nothing much happened for the last forty minutes. Except for Simon's snoring. I had been wondering about what would've made him want to runaway.

We passed small shop here and there. A neon light sign for every mile or so. I didnt know where we were, but sure as hell wasn't anywhere near Vegas or New York. This area was a sleep. At least half asleep. Maybe half plus another quarter.

Jordan slowed the car down and turned the engine off. I stared at him in confusion. "Please tell me you didnt change your mind!" I exclaimed, widening my eyes open. "Uh-" he started. "Or are you just sleepy?" I interrupted.

"Did you see that liquor store we just passed?" He asked as he turned and stared out the rear window.  "What about it?" I asked giving him the sideways look of suspicion.

"Im gonna go in and steal some alcohol." Jordan stated.

"No way. Nah-hah!, " We have money to buy the booze" I objected.

"Yeah well how long will whatever we have stolen last?" he argued.

"I didnt steal. I had it saved." I snapped.

"We are not stealing from a poor o'l man" I continued.

"Did'nt your mama tell you about what happened to her classmate Grace Larson?" He questioned.

"She was raped and murdered?" I answered. "What does that have to do with any of this" I exclaimed in annoyance.

"Well thats the guy who did it." he said eyeing at the neon lit liquor store. "He was released five years ago, after serving only 25 years of prison sentence." he continued.

"How would you know that, thats the guy? And why would I believe you" I interrogated.

"I associate the 'informed' crowd, if  you arent aware.." he almost grinned. "Besides its kind of too late to hit me with your trust issues. You are running away with me after all" he spoke sense and beamed at me.

"And not to mention..." he started.

"You dont have to brag about it" I cut in rolling my eyes.

"Well should we wake Simon up?" I questioned, giving my approval.

"Don't, he will slow us down anyway" Jordan replied. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"What if he has a gun?" I said almost panicking by the thought of it.

"Relax I have a well thought out plan." he assured me.

He explained the plan to me and got off the car with his stash. I jumped to the driver's seat.

I suppose this is what happened next.

Jordan walked in grabbed a few bottles. He casually approached the man at the cashier. Jordan looked down, pretended to be looking for cash. He then got hold of a handful of powder and threw it at the man's face. I heard gunshots fire. Well he did have a gun! The guy was too blinded to aim right. "Were those gunshots" Simon woke up, panicking. I started the engine and drove the car, with the front passenger seat door open. Simon put his glasses on. Jordan had like a 150m run to make. I could finally hear footsteps approaching. Simon had craned his neck, turning his head around like a lost, fat flamingo. Jordan hopped inside, laughing hysterically. I laughed as I speeded us away. "What the fuck just happened guys" Simon asked, still confused. We succeeded! I hoped Jordan was telling the truth about the man. Either Way, I did not want to find out about the authenticity of his tale. If he had lied, I would have been consumed by  guilt.

"I thought junkies are supposed to guard their stash with their lives?" I questioned smiling at him.

Jordon had slumped in his seat, leaning against the door. He looked me in the eye and smirked.

"I am in need of an awakening I guess. I was motivated to save my life. I couldn't think of a better way to get rid of the stash." He said staring out his window.

"So you quit?" Simon butt in.

"On the strong stuff I guess." Jordan replied.

I wanted to ask him why so. I chose not to.

In like twenty minutes, we reached the first busy city. Oh! and that place was so not asleep. The night was far from over.