Chapter Two - Windy City

It has been days since I'd eaten, when I'd left the pack I left with not even clothes on my back. I haven't shifted back to human form since drinking out of the hose. The world around me has become more instinctualized due to my extensive period as a wolf. I can feel my wolf starting to become the dominant host in my body as she takes control frequently now.  I smelled a wolf scent coming from about five-hundred feet away and then heard slight whines. The noise sounded like they were from a child. Skeptically, I dashed in the pups direction. As I got closer a musty rogue scent washed over my nostrils. The wolf child heard my footsteps and cowered back, I noticed the tip of its left ear was gone, probably bitten off. There were other minor injuries covering its body I noticed as it tried to hid under some rocks.

In order to prevent startling the pup further I slowly lied down setting the red blanket beside me. It took a while for the pup to notice docile position, but when it did slowly the pup stepped towards me. The wolf child did a routine sniffing to collect my scent, and when it was satisfied the pup lay beside me curling into a ball to sleep. I covered the pup with the red blanket and stood up. The pup needed food and was likely too weak to hunt, I was hungry as well.

I inhaled deeply catching the scent of two turkeys, my wolf took over and was determined to feed the pup. Sneakily I locked onto my prey, I only needed one turkey to feed the both of us, so if I failed to catch both it would not be a loss.  I lowered my body ready to kill. In an instant the turkeys neck was in my mouth and I bit down hard until the struggling ceased.

When I found my way back to the pup it was still asleep, I took this opportunity to shift back and start a fire. When the fire was created I ripped open the turkey using a blunt stick and cooked its meat 🍖. By the time the pup had awoken the turkey was fully cooked and I had shifted into my wolf again. I nudged a chunk of turkey toward the pup who graciously accepted. After it was full I requested a mind-link communication. Mind link amongst rogues could happen upon request, though pack members can only link with other members or their designated partner.

The pup accepted the request, and I said to her ' I am Sonny, what is your name young one' to which she replied a single response, Her name is Bridgett. I also asked her why she was a rogue and she said that her family was on a picnic then were attacked  by bears. Her parents told her to flee and she got lost. She must not have been formally accepted into her pack yet, so when she wandered off territory the connection was broken on its own. In my case I forcefully broke my connection. This little girl was not like me, she has people to go back to. As much as I'd like to high tail away from any pack, this little pup didn't deserve that. Her eyes lit up when I said I'd help find her pack. 'Whats your packs name sweetheart?' I asked Bridgett. She gave me a wolf grin and exclaimed 'Light of the Dawn pack!'

A chill went down my spine. This pack is known for its brutality towards rogues, would Bridgett be accepted back safely? I may have to follow her on their territory to be sure. If I'm not mistaken the Light of the Dawn pack wasn't more than twenty miles away, it's a wonder why they haven't found her when she was this close.  The sun was about to set, but at full speed I could get her their before nightfall. I collected my blanket and managed to wrap it around my neck. Then I picked the pup up by the back of the neck with my teeth. Like I've been doing a lot of this last month, I ran, this time with a clear destination.

The sun was showing its last glimmer of light when I crossed their territory. I set Bridgett back down and she pranced with enthusiasm. She claimed over mind link that she this was indeed the right pack, as she remembered a familiar tire swing she'd play on. The further we walked the more anxiety built in me. It was not a moment later that I smelled the scent of three wolves approaching fast. The Light of the Dawn knew two rogues had trespassed and likely were not happy about it.
———————————————————————-
HEY I HAVE A HEAD ACHE OTHERWISE I WOULDA WROTE MORE! IF YOU LIKIE THEN VOTE AND COMMENT (I'm a feedback hoe).  Have a swell evening 😊