01. A Long, Long Night

Hey, guys! So technically this is my first book on Wattpad (I have another up but kinda discontinued it) so please please PLEASE give feedback! I'm so excited for this, hope you are too! Love ya, guys, and thanks for reading.

"Hit me up with another," the man in front of me slurs, slamming another bill on the counter.

I pour him another drink and slide it to him. 

The music is loud, beating in my ears like a pulse. It's dark and I'm thankful. I don't want to see a bunch of slutty girls wearing next-to-nothing, practically doing it with smirking guys on the dance floor. No thanks.

"Hey, baby," grins a towering figure as he leans against the counter. I gasp and turn around― he's on my side of the bar. "Let's have some fun."

Shit. "I-uh- Would you like a drink?" I say, readying myself to hit him with a bottle if things get out of hand. 

"Yeah," he smirks again. "You." He pushes me against the counter, assaulting my neck with his mouth. I squirm against him, gasping out cries for help but the only people around are drunk. They cheer, catcalling and laughing and totally ignoring what's going on behind the counter.

"Adecyn!" I hear my boss call. "What the hell are you doing there? There are customers waiting." Startled, the man jumps off me and I take that moment to breathe. I see my boss gesture to a couple impatient men drumming their fingers on the bar.

I hurry to them, whispering in my boss, Randal's ear, "Thanks so much."

"Anytime, love," he smiles, rubbing my back gently as I pass by.

Randal is practically my only friend. He's the only one who cares about me. Ever since I started working night shifts here to pay the rent, he's always had my back. He knows about Ryan, about how all of this is just because of a misunderstanding. He's the only one that doesn't look at me with disgust or pity. I honestly wouldn't be here without him.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Randal not-so-gently shove that guy over the counter. Something breaks, and I see the blurs of punches, but the club is too loud for anyone to pay much attention. I go on serving people alcohol, trying not to cringe at them.

By 2 am, I'm exhausted. I almost spill a drink on Randal as he sits by the bar, watching me and helping when there's more than one customer at a time. He dodges the falling drink and catches me, pulling me close. I slump against his chest, letting my eyes close and then quickly shaking myself awake.

"Go home, love," he suggests, his eyes crinkled in concern. "No offense, but you look like shit."

"Why, thank you," I mumble, getting off him to clean the mess from the floor.

Randal stops me. "I'm serious. Go home, I can take care of this from here. Your shift's almost over anyway."

I sigh, taking the washcloth from a hook and working on the spill. "Ran, you know I need the cash."

"I'll  give you the same amount. It's only one hour's difference. Go home and sleep otherwise I'm not letting you come in at all tomorrow," he says softly but sternly.

I'm not really aware of my surroundings as he gently lifts me up, wrapping my coat around me. He leads me outside, and I feel a cold breeze hit me hard. I shiver. He wraps his arms around me as he hails a cab. He gives the driver directions, telling him to make sure I get inside my apartment safe and giving him a generous tip to make sure. 

The next thing I know, a stranger in a leather jacket and graying hair shakes me awake. Groggily I get up and take in my surroundings. The imprint of my head is on the condensation of the window beside me, and I realize I'm in the taxi. The driver with kind eyes motions to my apartment building. Mumbling a thank you, I stumble out and get inside. I don't hear him drive off until I close the building door behind me.