Chapter I : The Beginning

Chapter I: The Beginning

Hundreds of years ago, our world was overtaken by machines.The machines went into a frenzy and attacked every human they could find,for they believed that we were the enemy. Our race would have died out if not for a courageous hero and his companions.He defeated the evil the overtook the world and for once the world was peaceful. But this peace was shortlived, the machines have started to stir, once again attacking humans.The hero sensing alarm created Utopia,a place where humans were ensured protection and safety. Today, 100 men and women are chosen to be Protectors, the defenders of Utopia.

Crash!  Vex slammed right into the archery equipment.

"Oops! Sorry Vex, I guess I don't know my own strength", Leto said with mock sympathy, while his friends snickered behind him.

"Leto you're the boss!", one of his friends shouted behind him. Vex simply stood up and brushed the dust off his clothes, ignoring Leto and his friends.

"Oh, you too good for us huh squirt?", Leto pushed him back down on the equipment.

"Leto that's enough!", called a girl. 

"Oh come on Rayla, I was just having a little fun", Leto chuckled. Rayla glared at him and helped Vex up. 

"You okay?", she asked. "Y-yeah,just fine", he replied.

Rayla turned to face Leto. "You should stop doing this to people Leto, just because you're a Top doesn't mean you can boss people around", she said. 

"Psh, whatever, I'm still the best, I'm Top", Leto said.

"And it's not like you're his guardian Rayla, stop acting like a hero, in the end you're still one of us, your a Top", he said finally and walked away with his "friends" right behind him.

Rayla turned to Vex. "Don't listen to him Vex, he's just a blockhead, being Top doesn't mean anything and anyway I'm glad you're okay", Rayla said.

Vex just stared at her.

"So uh, I'll see you around I guess", Rayla walked away, casually avoiding the awkwardness. 

Vex stepped toward the pile of archery equipment and picked up his bow and arrow. He was just about to shoot when Leto came over and pushed toward the side where the equipment was promptly placed. He walked toward the archery range, notched an arrow and missed. 

A couple of girls snickered behind him, "Wow, on top of being totally useless, he's talentless too", one of them said.

Vex sighed and placed the bow and arrow back on the stand. He glanced at the teacher-in-charge  to ask take his leave and the teacher nodded. Vex wondered why the teacher didn't try to stop the fight that almost broke out, instead letting Rayla stop it. Did he want to see a fight? It would make sense, the teachers here are retired Protectors, they're probably willing to do anything to see a little action in this boring little academy. 

As Vex was walking out the door he heard the girls again. "That guy is so hopeless, that's why he's never gonna be a Top".

A Top, that word has been going around his head ever since Rayla mentioned it. A Top is a student that has exceptional skill. Leto is a Top because he beat even the teacher-protectors in hand-to-hand combat. Rayla is a top because she can hit a target with a bow and arrow five miles away. The Tops are usually expected to be champion protectors, ones who have killed countless machines. These guys are trained from birth to be protectors. That's why Vex will never be one, but that doesn't mean he should stop trying. 

Vex walked through the halls and turned left to go to the restrooms, to check if he had any bruises or grazes from the little incident earlier.

He looked at himself in the mirror and he had to admit, he looked.........pathetic. He had dark circles around his eyes, dark uncombed and shaggy hair which was covering his face. Not to mention, he had a hunched back which was complemented by his skinny frame, proved by his clothes hanging loosely on his his body. It was obvious why they would pick on him and it was obvious that he'd never be a protector. Because Protectors were brave, courageous and great at fighting. He was skinny, shy and too small.