***

The rain fell fast and hard, when I walked outside I could hear the slap the drops made on the pavement. Staring off into the darkness I started on my way. My boots were heavy but not with rain. With a feeling of dread, guilt. For I know what awaits me where I am headed but I continue. "Do you ever think about life?" I ask the street. "Just the big thing of consciousness." I stop moving for a second and stare into the sky. I let out a sigh. With a bounce I continue moving forward looking back down at my boots. "Sometimes it gets to me you know?" A streetlight takes over my vision. I bring my hand over the brightness and squint at the sign on the corner across from me. Looking both ways I cross the street. "It's so much to digest sometimes. That I'll have to keep doing this over and over again. And yet I can't think of a place I'd rather be. Who would want to skip life you know." A sharp breath in, "I just, I don't know." I trail off. I am quickly jolted into reality when a car speeds by hitting a puddle in its wake. I didn't think there would be anybody in this rain. It's just as well that I was disturbed, "I'm here." I enter the concrete building pushing the glass door open and immediately get hit with a wall of warm air. I take my hat off now soaking wet, wipe my feet on the mat just before the door, and continue into the foyer. All the lights are turned off but I've taken this path so many times I don't need them anymore. I turn the corner and stop, take a breath and - my vision is already black but somehow it goes blurry, I can barely stand up. I collapse onto my knees my hands covering eyes. I scream but no sound can be heard as I weep into the emptiness.

The void. Ain't it fun. Sittin in the darkness killing time killing life this is great how pointless do you have to be to be me?

* * *

"Evelyn? Evelyn? Are you listening?" "Huh" I open my eyes and stare at Dr. Phillips. "Yeah, yeah I'm listening." I say waving my hand dismissively and closing my eyes again. "This is important information Evelyn. If you don't want to hear it you shouldn't come." I reluctantly swing my legs over and off of the couch on to the ground and stare at him blankly. He re-adjusts his glasses and continues on. "_________" My hand is holding my head up at this point my elbow on my knee. "Doctor Phillips," "Yes?" he questions. "I'm not okay. You know that I know that, but why am I here?" "To get better." He says matter of factly. "This is a waste of time." I say under my breath as I storm out of his office. "Where do you think you're going?!" He [shouts] getting up from his chair subsequently knocking over all of the papers on his lap. "Anywhere but here!" I yell back throwing my hands up. I hear him stomp after me and at this point everybody in the foyer is staring at me but it's incredibly hard to care right now. I suddenly stop in front of the glass doors and whirl around to face Dr. Phillips. "Please Evelyn you're making a scene just come back to my office and we can - " "Time is an incredible force, it's indefinite, on a never ending path." "Wha-what?" He sputters out. "It will wipe you out and won't even sense that you were there." I continue out the door pushing past some gawking idiots. As soon as the sun hits my face so do the tears. I walk just around the corner of the building and slouch against the concrete exterior hugging my knees to my chest.