Chapter 2- To The City

Friday!

            I leaped out of bed the moment my alarm went off and quickly dressed in the clothes I set out the night before. An aquamarine sundress with white lace around the top, a silver necklace, pearl studs and my favorite pair of gladiator sandals. I wasn’t nearly as elegant as Princess Rose or Queen April, but it was the best I could do. The late fall weather had turned abruptly warm and I was very thankful for that.

            Once I finished curling my hair and applied minimal make up, I bounded to Jason’s door kicking it open and turning on his lights

            He covered his face with his blankets and rolled over, “What’s your hurry?” He grunted, stumbling out of bed. Once he gained his balance back he found a clean pair of jeans and a plain black T-shirt. “The city isn’t going to disappear if we don’t get there at the crack of dawn.”

            The city might not disappear, but Prince Noah might. The grand opening was at 11 sharp. After that who knew where the Royal Family would be? But Jason still thought we were just going shopping. Neither of us had much to spend, but we had enough for lunch, and maybe a CD or sweater.

            It had been hard enough to wait for Friday. Even though the school week was only 4 days long, it had seemed to last forever. And the boys at school seemed to be more annoying than usual. They had decided to have a contest on Tuesday to see who could make the rudest bodily noise in class without getting caught. As if they were all in kindergarten, not high school.

            My friend Katie thought it was hilarious, and had a date this weekend with Dillon, the winner of the stupid contest. Why would anyone want to date such an immature idiot? Dillon had always been annoying, and so had his friends, always pulling pranks. I just knew that Price Noah was a million times more intelligent than any of them. I couldn’t blow my chances with him!

            Jason took his sweet time getting dressed and eating his breakfast. I on the other hand couldn’t eat; I was too hyped up to eat I barely managed to gulp down the orange juice my dad handed me. Finally Jason drove us to the train station, and we were on our way!

            Even though Milwaukee was only an hour from Chicago, the train ride seemed endless. After another 15 minutes we reached our destination, Union Station. We got off the train, making our way through the massive crowds, all rushing to the only exit. I held onto my brother’s hand for dear life, afraid that I was going to be separated from him.

            Once we made it out safely I smelled the delicious aroma of coffee and donuts. My empty stomach growled at me. We stopped at the nearest shop and bought a donut, not looking to see what kind it was.

            We as stepped outside into the city, the screech of cars and roar buses filled our ears. People were everywhere, walking purposefully along the sidewalks and streets. I felt full of purpose and energy myself.

            Walking down the street, I bit into my donut. A surprising amount of grape jelly filling squirted on to my dress.

            “No!” I cried as I tried to wipe away the purple glob with my napkin. But that only made look worse. How could I have been so stupid to have picked a jelly filled donut?

            Jason glanced at the jelly stain and stifled a laugh. “Don’t worry about it. It’s not like we’re going to see anyone important here.” No one but Prince Noah. I stared at my dress with a sinking feeling.