London

Gazing up at the shop window, I scrunch up my nose and look back to the change in my hand. My gloves dirty and frayed at the fingers, slowly unravelling. Counting it out again, I come to realise I won't have enough for even a small cake or sandwich. 

Feeling my eyes tear up and throat hurt, I force myself not to cry. Shoving the money into my pocket I walk into the shop anyway and approach the shelf full of sandwiches, looking at the shop keeper, his attention is on a man so I take my chance, grabbing four sandwiches, I slowly walk to the door "oi! Where are you going with those?!" the woman snarls, making her way over. I dart out into the street and through the alleyways, making sure that I loose her.

Once I'm sure I've lost her, I sit down with my sandwiches. Glancing up and down the dark alley, I smile to myself, shovelling the sandwiches into my mouth I eat them as fast as I can, nearly choking as I force them down in fear someone will find me and snatch them away. Once they're eaten, I lick my lips and fingers, savouring the taste of ham and butter.

Sighing, I rest my hands on the floor in between my legs, my mouth now dry and stomach growling for more, the empty void feeling as if it'll never be filled. Searching my pockets for anymore food, my hand brushes the coins in one pocket and the other hand brushes the hole in my pocket. 

"What did you get this time?" A familiar voice sneers, my head snaps up to see Morgan; glowering at me, a older boy that keeps trying to take what little money I have. Shrugging, I wipe the crumbs off of my face "nothing" I lie.

"Nothing? I saw you scoffing something" He snarls, taking a step closer.

"It's gone now"

"Prove it"

"How? You saw me eat it"

We stare at each other for a long moment, our gazes harsh and threatening, me ready to run and him ready to lunge. 

Slowly getting to my feet, I side step him and kick him in the side. Pulling out the pipe that I tucked into my trousers and whack him on the head with it. He howls, falling to the floor. Whacking him again, I watch him fall down again and stay down.

I watch his body for a long moment, making sure he's unconscious before I pickpocket him and run off, hiding the pipe once more and sprinting through the streets, only stopping when I am gasping for breath. Looking around panicked I notice a boy watching me and frown, walking into another alley, I'm making my way towards somewhere I can something to drink, coughing now that I have a dry spot in my mouth. 

I jump when a cup of water is slid across the ground towards me with a cake. Looking up I see the boy smiling at me, his feet bare. "Eat and drink that, then we will talk."