Prologue

« Long ago, two races ruled over the earth : HUMANS and MONSTERS. One day, war broke out between the two races. After a long battle, us humans were victorious. Seven of our greatest wizards sealed the monsters underground, in a cave beneath Mount Ebott, with a magic spell : the Barrier.

[...]

A legend grew over the years. It is said that travelers who climb the mountain never come back."

*******************

The child, whose name is Frisk, closes their book and starts thinking with great intensity.

"Never come back...", they think. " There's gotta be something behind all this."

Frisk, despite being very young, is already very curious and adventurous : it looks like they found the great adventure they were looking for. With great enthusiasm, they decide to go and climb the mountain.

They sneak into the bedroom – the orphanage ladies usually did not allow them to go inside during the day – and grab their backpack. They stuff a lamp, a pencil, a notebook and other various equipments in it and then they go into the kitchen, which was left unsupervised at this time of the day. They "borrow" some water and chocolate bars.

They hide their backpack under their bed and go back into the yard with the other children as if nothing had happened, and plays a football match with some other kids, among which their close friend Aidrian. They think about bringing her for the adventure. But, in the end, they decide to keep it a secret. It would be even more fun like that ! But they will bring a souvenir for her so she doesn't feel left out.

The day goes on as usual, and, eventually, night falls and the children have to go to bed. Frisk has a lot of insomnias, and they know when they can leave without being noticed. Around half past ten, they creep out of bed, dress silently and get their bag.

When Frisk opens the door, they make sure not to make much noise. As they step in the hallway, they look around to check if someone is around. But nobody came. They go for the door as quietly as they can.

But, as they are crossing the entrance, they hear steps and voices coming from behind. Quickly, but still noiselessly, they hide behind a huge plant that takes center stage in the room. The voices were actually the orphanage's director, Miss Grey, and one of the supervisors. They understand from the conversation that he is fired, but doesn't understand why.

After a long time, Frisk can finally quit their hiding spot. They reach for the door, but... it's locked. Naturally. What were they even expecting ?

But, far from discouraged, they open the window and goes through it. They realize that it would have probably been easier if they did this at first.

By the time they reach the top of Mount Ebott, it's already dawn. They will never be back before everyone's awake. They shrug : after all, the worse that could happen to them was a time-out. And no dessert.

Frisk enters the huge cavern at the top of the mountain. They look around them, amazed by the beauty of the place. They put their bag on the ground and get their camera. They take a few photos, then puts the camera back in. They come closer to the big hole in the center.

But suddenly, they trip over a branch and fall in the hole ! As they are falling, the world above them fades out and they pass out.