Chapter 3

Sunday rolled around faster than Peter expected as he finally found himself standing in front of the bathroom mirror straightening a tie.

Aunt May was the one who taught how to fix a tie for the homecoming dance that he and Liz went to.

Peter took a deep breath and ran a hand through his hair. You can do this Peter.

He knew it was his duty to attend May's funeral, being the only close relative she had, aside from distant cousins, but he couldn't shake off the feelings of nervousness. There was a lump in his throat and his mouth was dry, his skin was pale and clammy, but he had to push through it. He had to be there for May.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the bedroom door. Peter exited the bathroom and made his way across the room. He opened the door to see solemn-looking Tony Stark staring back at him.

"Ready to go, kid?"

Peter didn't say anything; he just nodded to give an acknowledgement.

"Alright, Happy's meeting us downstairs." Tony stated while turning down the hall. Peter followed close behind.

The walk outside was excruciatingly awkward as neither one said a word to one another. Peter was simply not in the mood to talk, while Tony was unsure of what to say at a time like this. The poor kid was going through hell and Tony couldn't think of anything to say that would make him feel better.

Happy was waiting outside as promised. Tony slid into the back seat while Peter followed suit.

The ride to the funeral home didn't take long. It was fancy, much nicer than something Peter could've afforded, but given that Tony was covering the expenses- Peter wasn't surprised at the extravagancy.

Happy had already exited the vehicle, making his way around the car to open the door for Peter, only he didn't budge.

Tony frowned. "Hey, Peter. We're here."

Peter didn't seem to hear Tony's words and just stared into space.

Tony looked up at a worried-looking Happy. "Can you give us a minute?"

Happy nodded and shut the door, leaving the two to talk.

"Peter? Can you look at me?"

The teen's head slowly turned and looked up at the older man.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes, Mr. Stark. Everything's fine."

"Are you sure?"

Peter nodded and for the first time Tony noticed how pale the kid looked. His hands were visibly shaking.

"Peter, we can wait. You don't have to go in there right now if you're not ready."

Peter quickly shook his head. "No, Mr. Stark. I'm fine... Let's just get this over with?"

Tony's brown furrowed as Peter jumped out of the car before Happy could even get the door for him.

He definitely wasn't okay.

Peter had dived out of sight, into the building leaving Tony and Happy alone.

"What was that about?" Happy asked.

Tony shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. He just spaced out for a second. It's a hard day for him, I told him he didn't have to go but hut he got all anxious and just bolted."

"Well, guess we should go pay our respects too."

Tony nodded and they made their way into the building.