The Reason the House Was Still His

Sighing, he opened the creaking door and entered the old, run down house. His steps on the hardwood floor echoing around the room. He had been sent, once again, to survey the house and figure out if he wanted to renovate and sell it.

In all honesty, he wasn't so sure why he was here. He knew that he would never be able to sell this house. It held too many precious memories that he just couldn't let go of. This was his first ever house. He had moved in with his wife right after they got married. 

Walking into the kitchen, he smiled, reminiscing. He remembered when the room was coated in white flour as they hid between the counters with handfuls of flour to ambush the other with. She had leaped out from behind a counter and thrown her handful smack in the middle of his face. Coughing slightly, he laughed and grabbed her from the waist before she could run away. She kicked and squealed, but he just chuckled as he held her to his chest and rubbed his handful of flour in her tangled, brown hair.

He shook himself from the memory and climbed the stairs to their bedroom. He could see her here, perched in front of her easel and biting the back tip of her paintbrush. Her eyebrows would furrow and her lips would be stuck in a pout as she thought hard about her painting. Then she would turn as she heard him open the door and her eyes would light up, the corners of her lips turning up in a smile. 

"Get out," she teased playfully, "you aren't allowed to see my masterpiece before I'm done."

He would sigh dramatically and give her puppy dog eyes before stepping out of the room and closing the door softly so as not to disturb her.

And that's what he did now, even though she was no longer in that room and never again would be. Taking a last look at the house that held so many cherished memories of his love, he gulped and allowed for one tear to leave his eyes. 

Although he wished he could hold on forever, he knew it was time to let go. It had been five years since her death and it was finally time for him to stop living in the pst and start living his life. Maybe the new house owners would make just as happy memories as he.