Second Chance 1

1 ATHEENA

Sitting alone in a secluded part of the cafeteria. Far from the hustling bodies of hungry students who come to get a load of energy to make it through the day.

Yes, I'm in a university...again...I thought I would never set foot again in one. But here I am...in a school cafeteria. Enjoying my bowl of noodles with steaming soup in it. Trying the chopsticks, though I really can't make use of it. I only use chopsticks on my hair, especially when I'm in the laboratory mixing chemicals.

I'm always alone. I don't like being around others because they would ask questions...questions that I'm trying to avoid since I arrived here in Hawaii. Being far away from my family makes me sad all the time. And being asked why Im away from them is what I intend to avoid.

The university where Im at, is quite big and that means I get to see different faces everyday. Not good with memorizing faces I really dont pay much attention to those who ask to share a seat at the table Im at. And even I eat with others, I dont open or entertain conversations with them. Its not always that I eat with my classmates so I tend to be alone...all the time.

Eating my lunch alone is me time...the time that I get to have to think for myself and do what I want. Lunch time is not always spent in the cafeteria, sometimes I skip eating and spend it in the library or laboratory.

Alone and silent is like inside my own bubble. My thoughts in my head and food in my mouth. Im trying to recreate the possible chemical reaction that may happen in the experiment that I am working on. Mumbling with my inability to use the chopsticks, I gave up and just took the bowl with my hands and gulp the soup up.

Hi!

Jumped alittle on my chair surprised, I looked at this person who popped my bubble....

2 PATRICK

There she is again. As usual, alone at the corner. Ive been seeing her at that table almost everyday...alone.

Its not a habit to me to study people around especially in the cafeteria but this girl or shall I say lady...is different. She is tall, sun kissed skin, almond shaped eyes and her long black hair that is more often held at the top of her head with pencils or sticks.

What I observed is that she always eat alone...I know cause the people on the table leave and she is just right there. I think she attends classes in the College of Science, she has chemistry books and lab manuals with her. Wow...I can pass as an investigator with what Im doing now...or worse...a stalker.

No Im not stalking her, Im just intrigued by her. She has this cloud of mystery around her...yes...mysterious heh...

Will I approach her? Do I want to know her name? Or will she talk to me if I talk to her? "James what do you think?" Asking my friend who is busy attacking his sandwich because we are supposed to be on a working break on our lecture class in Psychology.

"Huh? What?" James asked

"Man, Im asking you if it will be alright to go to her and talk"...

"Rick, my friend...this is a free country and besides you are not in the highschool to be shy to a girl...why dont you go there and talk to her. Looks like she wont bite". Chuckled as wiped his lips.

Taking a deep breath, "ok I think I will give it a try...wish me good luck that I wont be rejected huh". Deep inside I dont want to be rejected...I hate the feeling of being one...so with fingers crossed...here I go walking across the cafeteria to approach this mystery girl

Hi!

Ooops...I think that came out strong, because she was startled and looked at me with rounded surprised eyes...

*******

AN:

First meeting....