The Bridge - Part 1

"Take me, not her."

His voice was almost a whisper, but they heard him. 

I was pushed roughly away, towards the other boys.

Louis looks at me. 

"Charlotte-"

"DON'T. Do. Not. Use. My. Full. Name." Niall was the only one who called me that.

I couldn't take it anymore. I burst into tears, running blindly.

I bumped into somene. Liam.

"Charlie, you can't just sob."

I looked at him, making no effort to hide the hurt and shock displayed on my face.

"No, I don't mean it like that. You love him."

"No, I don't. We're just good friends, alright?"

"Then why is he giving himself up for you?"

Liam's words made me freeze.

Because you do love him, an inner voice inside my head answered for me.

"But, Liam, I don't even think he likes me that way anyway," I said, smiling bitterly.

"Yes. He does," Liam concluded. 

And with that, he turned his head to start a conversation with Zayn.

Meanwhile, our unknown kidnappers had untied Niall from the pole. They led him towards the edge of the bridge.

I screamed. 

"NO! Niall, you can't do this!" By now, I was surprised no one had heard us yet. 

"Charlotte-"

"Hey, kid, get your butt over here and stop talking."

He whispered something to the guard and handed him something, then beckoned to me. I walked over slowly, being careful not to slip like the klutz I am.

"We have 5 minutes," he breathes into my ear.

"Niall-"

"Wait. Just let me explain. I love you, and always will, and I am doing this for you. You cannot talk me out of it. They said they would let you all go if I-"

Here, he had to pause.

"If you what? Niall?" I was very confused now, though a little touched by his words.

"If I jumped."

I wasn't sure I had heard him right.

"Huh? Niall, could you tell me again?"

"They said they would let you go if I jumped off this damn bridge, alright?" His voice rose with every word, until he was almost yelling.

"I showed you, I told you, I made sure you knew, that I loved you. But you just sat there, oblivious, never realizing until too late!"

He continued with his rant, and I was becoming scared.

"N-Niall?" I squeaked out.

He looked down at me and started advancing towards me. It was freaking me out, so I did the only thing I knew would shut him up.

I kissed him.