3.3 Old Enemy

Samuel, Mom and I went back to their house, Samuel and I stood around the dining room table after dressing in our normal clothes.

Deanna was in the kitchen, chopping bananas, and I laid a map down on the table. "What do you say we just slow down and talk this thing through?" Samuel asked.

"There's nothing to talk about," I said, rolling my eyes. "Except you're saying it's a demon, and none of us has ever heard of a demon with yellow eyes," He said.

"Yeah, well, I have. This thing killed my family," I said. "Just calm down, Scarlett," He said. "You don't get it, do you?" I asked as I looked at him. "You are in danger, we are all in danger. In fact, you need to get yourself someplace safe."

"Not until we know what we're dealing with here," Samuel said. Deanna walked in with a fruit salad. "Sam's right, Scarlett, it could be a demon, it could be a shapeshifter, it could be any number of things."

"I know what this thing is," I said as she walked back into the kitchen. "And I'm gonna kill it, that's all the talking I need to do."

"You're gonna kill a demon? How?" Samuel asked. "There's a hunter named Daniel Elkins. He lives in Colorado, he has Colt's gun. The Colt," I explained.

"Yeah, I heard about the Colt, used to tell it to Mary as a bedtime story," Samuel said. "Well, it's real," I said. Deanna and Samuel exchanged a look not knowing what to think.

Samuel looked at me. "Alright, say that it is. You got some kind of crystal ball telling you where this demon's gonna be?"

I tilted my head, "Yeah, maybe I do." I pulled Dad's journal out of my jacket and opened it on the table as Samuel stood at my side. "What's this?" He asked.

"It's a list," I answered. "Of what?" He asked. "My Dad wrote down anyone he thought ever came in contact with the Yellow Eyed Demon," I explained. "Who, where and when."

"Why?" Samuel asked. "'Cause the more he could learn about the son of a bitch, the more he could figure out why it killed my Mom," I answered, turning the page, "Look, Whitshire Farm. I told you that name sounded familiar."

Samuel read the list, "Whitshire Farms, that was two days ago. How the hell is that on your Dad's list?" I hesitated, tilting my head as I looked at the list. "My Dad could see the future. Look at this, it says he's gonna hit here tomorrow night."

"Liddy Walsh?" Samuel read in confusion. "Haleyville, that's close," I said. "I mean, yeah, it's about three miles, but . . ." He trailed off and looked at Deanna.

Deanna leaned against the doorway, shaking her head slightly, and Samuel looked back at me. "I know you guys think I'm crazy," I said.

"You seem like a really nice kid, Scarlett, but yeah, you're crazy," Samuel said. "Yeah, maybe, but I know where this bastard's gonna be, and I'm gonna stop it, once and for all," I said. Samuel and Deanna exchanged a look and I grabbed the journal before walking out of the room.

I walked into the living room where Mom was sitting on a chair, listening to records. I cleared my throat, "I'm shoving off. I just wanted to say, bye."

"Really? So soon?" Mom asked as she got up. "Yeah, job to do," I answered. "Hey, I wanted to tell you, you know for what it's worth. Um . . . it doesn't matter what your Dad thinks, I like that John guy."

"You do?" She asked with a smile. "Yeah," I answered. "Yeah, I think you two are meant to be." I lowered my voice so she wouldn't hear. "Hell, I'm depending on it."

"What?" She asked. "Nothing. Um, can I ask you a question?" I asked and she nodded. "What's he like? John."

"Why do you ask?" Mom asked. "Just curious," I said with a shrug. "I don't know. He's sweet, kind. Even after the war, after everything, he still believes in happily ever after, you know? He's everything a hunter isn't," She explained. "No offense."