Enter the Root Pack

"Well, Miss Enid, what do you plan on doing now?" Cuphead asked as he and Mugman walked out with Enid. The girl just blinked. She had no idea what she was going to do next, honestly!

"Well, I'm sure that the Devil will be after me... I should probably get moving.. Oh, if he would find me, I would probably faint right on the spot!" Enid cried, fiddling with the Devil's dice in her pocket. They had a certain feel to them which made them hard for her to put them down. They were a translucent red, the numbers on them being black.

"We should see if those things actually work!" Cuphead said, smiling. Mugman nodded, but Enid seemed nervous. "A-Alright.. But it will just be for fun! My father was a gambler.. And it's an incredibly evil act in my eyes." Said Enid, shaking her head.

So, young Cuphead had went back and grabbed a pair of dice, and they started. They did about twenty tries, and Enid's number was always higher than his. Even if he got eleven, she got twelve. If he got twelve, so did she. Hers was just always higher than his when it could be. This was relevant, because, In the Devil's Casino, the most basic form of gambling was literally betting on rolling higher than your opponent.

"Golly! No wonder he wants these back! Imagine how much money he can make off of these!" Cuphead said, Mugman just nodding again. "How awful! He cheats these people out of all they have!" Enid cried. "We most certainly cannot let him get these back!"

The three had talked, and then Enid had decided that it would be best to wander off, in case the Devil would try to find her. On the way, she met two new people.

The first was a coin.. A literal coin! "Hello, sir!" She greeted. The coin seemed to look in her pocket, seeing the shape of the dice. "Don't tell me..you're going to that blasted casino?" The coin had asked. Enid shook her head. "Oh, no, sir! I'm actually trying to avoid the casino. I-I don't feel comfortable getting into details, though." She said politely.

"A good girl you are!" The coin said. "The Devil's completely taken over the casino. And he's probably taken over the bank, too! No no, he's not gettin' my money! You got any coins, girl?" He asked.

Enid politely shook her head, and the coin just gave her one! It was weird to her, himself being a coin, but she politely thanked him. She just was surprised! "Don't mention it, kid. Just come back if you need anything, and make sure you stay clear of that blasted Devil." He said. Oh, how he was friendly for a stranger!

The next person Enid met was similar to Cuphead.. But his head was... an axe? That was strange.. And she was intimidated by the fellow at first!

"Don'cha tell me, you're another one of them casino debtors trying to get money outta me?" He asked, and seemed ready to fight!

"No, no, please! I mean no harm, sir!" Enid had cried, kneeling down to his level. "I mean no harm to anyone! I've never been to the casino, I swear!" She said. The axe boy just nodded, not noticing that Enid tried to hide the shape of the dice in her pocket.

"Well, good! These casino debtors have been on my tail forever now! I've had to fight 'em all off, and it's ruining my poor blade!" He cried. Enid nodded a little, seeming like she genuinely felt bad for him. His blade definitely looked pretty dull.

"Oh, you poor thing! How will you fight them off now?" Enid asked, covering her mouth. If a debtor wanted to fight him.. He'd surely lose with a blade like that! Though she didn't know him that well, she already cared for him.

"I'll just stay away from 'em now. I'll need to get my blade sharpened." He said, shrugging. After chatting for a while, Enid had decided that she had to get going again. The axe boy seemed to be eager to talk again, and she hated to leave, but she was still afraid that the Devil would appear and even hurt her new friend.