Chapter 12: Sleep with Closed Curtains

As soon as Ben drops Seth off to his house, he parks his truck on my driveway then glanced in my direction.

"Here's your stop," he sighs.

Nodding to him, I take my purse, kissed his cheek, and walked myself home. But before I grab my house keys, I take out my phone and check to see what time it is.

Good, it's ten o'clock.

My mother would have revoked my privileges if I stayed up too late.

Yawning, I pull out the keys from my purse and entered the house.

But when I stepped inside, I can feel the cool air conditioning on my face.

My aching heels clicked against the floor as I close the door gently, then search for the light switch, presumably next to the kitchen.

Luckily, I manage to notice the traces of the flicker glued against the gray wall, and turned it on.

"Aah," I said in relief.

The lights were functioning properly; repelling the darkness to its hole.

Brightness created a white tinge on the gray kitchen walls, dark living room couches, and especially the flat screen television beside the fireplace.

Lemon slicked the wood floor as my mother's homemade quilts spread underneath the couches.

Inhaling the scent, I turn the lights back off; then, with a little bit of brightness left, I spotted the staircase and took it.

Thankfully, it lead me to the security of my own blue bedroom.

Stripping my clothes and makeup, I tossed my purse on the bed, changed back into my sleepwear, and tucked myself in bed.

I would have put my purse away, but I was too tired and hoped to do it tomorrow.

However, I hear the sounds of the camera flashing again, but this time it was faint.

I carefully roll out of bed, took out my phone, and crawled on all fours, like a cat.

One by one, the palms of my hands slid across the wooden surface of the floor. Meanwhile I kept listening to the camera shutters, which continued to snap so loudly.

When I reach to the windows, I pull away the blue curtains and search tirelessly for my stalker.

The night is always the color of dark smoke; you couldn't see anyone or anything, unless you have a flashlight.

Nevertheless, I found the stalker, standing on my lawn.

He wore a black ski mask, light gray hoodie, jeans, and dark gray sneakers. His hands held the kind of camera photographers use when taking celebrities' pictures.

Unfortunately, taking photos of my house is the last mistake he ever made.

Turning on my cellphone, I push my thumb on the camera icon and snapped pictures of the creep.

The good news is, that I can show this to Ben, but here's the bad news: I don't know anything about this guy, and if I call the police, it would give him a reason to kill me.

For now, I should show them to Seth and Ben, until I know how dangerous he is.

So far, I have taken only twenty photos of the guy, but since his face is hidden behind the mask, I can't ID him.

The camera secured in the creep's grasp so tight, that I was certain that he cares about it more than his appearance.

And what was more surprising is the guy isn't taking photos of my house: he is taking pictures of Ben's.

Questions circled around my head like flies.

Is this stalker hired by Jordan Hollis? I wonder.

Or, is he trying to finish the job?

Nevertheless, protecting Ben and Seth is my main concern.

I waited until the stalker went away then quickly turn the phone back on.

There, I told Ben about the intruder, and suggested that we should call the police.

"What do you bloody mean I have a stalker?" he moan.

Hesitantly, I sent the photos to Ben and wait for his response.

"Oh," he says shakily. "When did you take these pictures?"

"Two minutes ago," I answer with a shudder.

"This guy must be working for Hollis, right?"

A dreadful silence linger in my ear, until Ben sighed.

"No," he stated. "This guy doesn't work for Hollis."

What? I thought, taking another look at the picture.

The guy looks as if he is a burglar, I didn't understand why he isn't a part of Hollis' team of menacing hitmen.

"Think about it, Cole." he urged.

"The guy has no experience of an actual photographer. So, why do you think he is taking pictures?"

"Because, he is a pedophile." I reasoned.

"I know, but we are in a creepy, yet loving neighborhood. Last time I checked, no pedophile or stalker has the morality to live here. So who else has the motive to harass me?"

I could think of many people who hate him: his foster parents, the school guidance counselor, his former social worker, classmates, my dad...

That's when I examine the picture very closely: the guy didn't wear his mask properly, allowing me to see his blond hair, and muscled jawline.

I can only think of one person who would hate Ben more than anything in the world: Officer Jason.

Ever since he knows about Ben's past, he has been trying to put him in a jail cell. Although he seems happy about our relationship, Jason is jealous of the fact that I trust an escaped teenaged convict than a police officer.

"Not surprising," I mutter. "I don't understand him sometimes: why is he still after you?"

"He's a cop," Ben reminded me.

"He's always stiff when it comes to protecting the law."

I rolled my eyes.

"What should we do?" I ask.

"Let's keep searching for clues," Ben advised.

"He doesn't know that we're watching him."

"But, what if he gets to the part where you trespass on property, robbery, aggravated assault-"

"I'll be fine, Gorgeous." he interrupts.

"Worry about getting your beauty sleep, focus on tests, and dazzling me with your intelligence."

"Aw," I crooned. "you think I'm smarter than you."

A chuckle came from the speakerphone.

"Just go to sleep," he says slightly annoyed.

And for an instant, we hang up.