Chapter 2

It was did not take long for the news story to reach Mark. It was a pill, purple in colour and small in size, that was discovered by a man that lived in San Francisco. It was said, and tested to be true, to cure depression. It offered no side effects, only termination on what the doctors said was a disease. It was free, the man wanted no profit only satisfaction for the pill. The government had jumped at the man, mass producing the product and giving the pill to all homes around the nation. The pills were rumored to be spreading to Europe and Asia in the following week. 

Mark had stood, legs wobbling under him as he called Amy. She had picked up on the first dial. 

"Amy?" His voice was desperate.

"Mark? Are you okay?" 

"Yeah, fine," he said in a confused voice. "Have you seen the news?" He quickly changed the subject.

"Yeah, that's great, isn't it?" she said her voice bright and bubbly, back to its usual form.

"Yeah, its just what I've always wanted."

The line hung in silence between them. 

"Well," said Amy after a minute, "I'll see you later."

"Yeah, bye," Mark said before he ended the call. 

He fell back against his bed, phone still in a tight grip in his hand. It started ringing, Kat's caller ID displayed on the screen. He picked up without hesitation. 

"Hello?" He realized he still sounded breathless from his panicked call to Amy.

"It's Ethan. He was in an accident. He's in the hospital. Tyler and I are here with him now." Her voice matched his own, breathless and with a hint of tears.

"I'll be right there. Text me the address." 

"Sure." Kat hung up as Mark slid on discarded sweatpants from the floor. 

His phone buzzed with the sound of a text as he got in the car, his mind drunk with adrenaline. 

A/N Sorry for the short chapter. I was too lazy to even insert a time skip. Please, tell me how you like it by voting and adding a comment with a suggestion. Thank you!