Lovers

"I think it's time to join them."

His lips were close to her ear, she could feel his breath tickling her neck. It sent a pleasant shiver down her spine and when she turned to face him, he pulled her closer to his chest. His left thumb caressed the back of her hand as he placed his right hand on her waist. His touch was gentle yet he held her in a firm embrace. She knew she wouldn't stumble if he held her like this. He made her feel protected. With him, she felt safe.

Standing so close to him, she noticed how tall he was. Even though she was wearing heels, she didn't reach his chin. Looking up and into his eyes, her breath caught and her heart was beating furiously. The proximity was thrilling and she could feel a change in the air as sapphire blue met hazel brown once more. Heat was rising from deep inside her and the nervous biting of her lips gave her emotions away. He responded with an encouraging smirk, charmed by her being.

Their bodies moved in-sync as they swayed to the strains of the orchestra. With every song, every slow dance they shared and every unspoken word, the bond between them deepened. Looking at him she mused about the peculiar nature of love. Was she really falling for a stranger behind a mask?

Admiring the yellow spots in the blue ocean, a sudden jolt of remembrance struck her. It took her breath away and vertigo captured her. Her eyes widened in shock, a reaction that didn't go unnoticed by him. Letting go of her hand and caressing her cheek that was now covered in a film of cold sweat, he stopped in the middle of their dance.

"What's wrong?"

Her eyes examined every spot of his skin, every birthmark on his neck and every dimple of his cheeks. Finally, she looked him in the eyes again. Her chest was trembling and her face pale like a porcelain doll. Her voice was hoarse and nothing but a mere whisper when she spoke.

"Kiss me."

He didn't move, too unsettled by the sudden change of her mood. She was scared and by the look in her eyes, he could tell that he was the reason for it. He could feel the pain of a thousand poisoned needles when his heart broke to pieces.

"Kiss me."

She demanded once again, her voice steadier and calm. This time, he obeyed. Pulling her closer than ever before in fear to lose her forever, his lips came crashing down on hers. Demanding her to stay with him, he kissed her with a passion she'd never experienced in her life. The sweet pain of his bite on her lower lip brought her back to her senses. Tears streamed down her cheeks and she pushed him away with all her strength even though she was shaken by her sobbing. Not able to speak or regain her composure, she fled the hall. Running past the butler through the crimson door, she dashed down the steps.