Chapter 6: Park Jung-min

Park Jung-min's POV

"Eomeoni, what do you need from the store again? He said to his mother as he grabbed the car keys and waited by his mother's room door

His mother laid there in bed and didn't say a word at first. She turned over and said, "Just some milk, we're out." She said smiling as she went back to watch tv. He went over to kiss her cheek but then she grabbed his hand not wanting to let go.

"Eomeoni, I have to go. The store closes in twenty minutes and it's 9pm. I'll be back as fast as I can. I promise," she calmly let's go of his hand and Jung-min Left to go to the store."

*** "Till this day, I regret walking out that door. Maybe if I just stayed with her that night, I would have been by her side. I shouldn't have left that day. But there's nothing I can do now. Nothing at all," he said as he puts his head down while crying. ***

10:00 pm

"Eomeoni, I'm home," Jung-min said putting everything on the counter.

"Maaa?" He didn't hear her answer, while he is putting the milk up, he calls out to her again, still, no answer. He went to her room to see if she was okay and needed help with anything. "Ma, I'm sorry I took so long. Traffic was terrible getting back. There was an accident and it had traffic really backed up. No one was hurt thankfully," He went to his mother bedside and noticed that she wasn't responding.

"Eomeoni? Are you alright? Ma?" Jung-min said as he turned her over. Everything went tone death, not even a drop of water could be heard. "Maaaa, why now? Why did you leave me now? What am I supposed to do for my birthday now? You won't be here to celebrate it with me."

Jung-min sat there for frothy minutes before he called the ambulance. He wanted to spend the last moments with her before they took his mother away from him. When the coroner and the medics arrived, he gave his mother a kiss goodbye on her forehead and he watched as they carried his mother away.

*** "I know that you all are probably confused on what happened that day. So am I. I don't understand how something like that can just happen, happen in a mere hour. POOF! Just like that, she's gone. There's nothing I can do about it either. Why did she fall so sick and why now out of all days? I sometimes blame her for leaving me and that she could've prevented this if she just would have taken care of herself. But I learned that I can't blame her for anything and it's not her fault that she fell sick. There was nothing that I could do to being her back to me anyways. Cancer sucks." ***

After the funeral, Jung-min spent many nights blaming himself for leaving that night but there was nothing he could do to prevent breast cancer from taking his mother away from him. It took him months to get over that she's no longer there to make him smile anymore. He gave up on life and didn't want anything to do with anybody. Jung-min didn't contact friends or family after the funeral. For his birthday, he didn't celebrate it how he wanted to. He took off for two weeks and went on vacation to get away from that house.