Chapter 1

"Bye, Steph!!" I called out,walking off the bus. 

"Later, Britt, happy 18th birthday!" Instead of answering, I waved goodbye. 

'Some birthday,' I thought, I mean, who wants to spend their 18th birthday with their family ?! No, I think I'll just spend it alone while my parents work, and not expect any presents. My parents had told me this morning that they would unfortunately be working on what I thought would be the biggest day of my life. The day I finally become a legal adult. But it seems I will be spending that day-today-alone.

As I was digging for my house keys, I heard whispering and shuffling from inside. Who could it be? Mom and Dad are at work.... OHHHHH... I slowly tested the door, seeing if it was unlocked. It was. I quickly rummaged through my bag for the pocketknife my dad insisted on me always having with me. I flipped the blade open and crept inside, hoping for the element of surprise. I snuck up on the intruders in the living room, trying to move the furniture.

I mustered up all of my courage and said in a firm voice, "Stop right there or I call the cops." The two people, who I realized were a man and a woman, slowly turned around. I gasped as I saw my parents' faces. 

"Mom? Dad? What area you doing? You're supposed to be working right now...?" I finished the last sentence with a questioning tone in my voice. My dad turned to my mom. 

"Rita? Would you like to explain to our daughter why we said we would be working on her birthday when we so clearly are not??" 

My mom shot a glare at my dad. "Well, dinner is almost done, can I-we- explain it then?" Without waiting for a reply, she hurriedly walked into the kitchen. 

"You can put the knife away now, kiddo." I looked down, just realizing I was still holding my pocket knife. I made an "O" with my mouth and closed the knife and put it away. 

"Skeeter, will you come set the table, please?" My mom called, "and Brittney, change out of your school clothes, will you? I don't want to have to wash food out of good clothes!"

I walked back to my room, trying,and failing, to make sense of things. As I changed into my favorite sweats (5 Seconds of Summer sweats), I looked around my room. I had a TON of 5sos posters and merchandise. I liked the whole band,with Ashton's goofiness, Michael's hair colors, Luke's eyes, and Calum's, well, EVERYTHING. Despite all of my friends teasing, I am still, and forever more, a Calum girl. When I watch their music videos, I always find myself looking for him. I'm not attracted to him because of  his looks-well, kinda, but that's not the point- but he looks like someone who hides things. Who looks like they're only half living because they have some kind of "demon" weighing him down. 

 A sharp knock on the door snaps me back to reality. 

"Dinner's ready. Brace yourself, we have something we want to talk to you about." A wary look crossed my face. Dad chuckled and said, " Don't worry, its nothing bad." I was just confused now. "Just come and eat."

"OK" I laughed and followed him downstairs. 

A/N

So this is my fanfiction, and I'm still not entirely sure what I am going to do with this story BC I am only in 8th grade so its not like I am for sure going to be a writer or anything so I might at anytime just quit the story. I'm not sure yet. And as you might have read in the description, my updates will not be frequent due to basketball, school, family, and honestly, LIFE. Hope you like my story!! I will take suggestions on cast and will hopefully do a Q/A further into the story. 

Love, Gabs. 

P.S. if there really are 5sos sweats TELL ME!