A journey to remember

Jai walked with his father along the muddy path, admiring the swaying green crops. There was silence, leading to an awkward peace which unusually, Jai started hating.

"Linking the village life...?" Deva finally broke the silence, much to his relief. "Loving it!" Replied Jai, looking beyond the greens. Again silence prevailed, before the two heard loud screams and laughter.

"Give it back...or else..." Vennela shrieked, running behind the plumpy little boy, Munna. "Not until I get my chocolate!" Cried the little fellow, before passing between Jai's legs.

"Vennu careful!" Before Deva could warn, she just bumped into her Bava and before she could lose her balance, he caught her with both his arms encircled around her petite frame.

"Sorry!" She said before escaping from his clutches and restarted her chase. "One naughty child!" Deva said to himself. Jai saw her run with full speed, her face reflecting utmost innocence. She caught the little prankster and in the process, both of them fell in the huge mud pit.

And when the emerged out, both held their hurting tummies due to laughter. She held his little palm in her delicate one and they went back the other way.

Jai smiled, oblivious to his new feelings. "The most beautiful girl in the village, but the naughtiest one in the family, yet a very tender and sweet heart." Deva explained to his son who still seemed diverted.

The duo reached home only to find the elderly ladies panicking. It was not long before the learnt the matter. Vannela was brought to the hall by her ears. "When will you grow up!?" Exclaimed her mother.

She sat there, folding her arms, her lips twisted with anger. "Vennela... You will go to Srisaila tomorrow at the day break." Instructed her aunt. She glared at them.

"Aren't you supposed to go?" She asked her mothers.

"Look. Your aunt is not supposed to enter the temple...hope you understand. So I'll have to stay back to take care of the household chores. You know it's our family tradition to visit Srisaila every year." Explained her mother. She never was used to go to places without her mother or aunt by her side, and hence, she became quiet tensed.

"Should I go alone?" She asked, getting up from the couch.

"I am afraid yes... Everyone in the family is busy this time..." Her mother tried to convince her impulsive daughter.

That was the end point. Vennela couldn't hold more and began spilling words of frustration. "You people are so bad.." She cried, "you don't bother to send a young girl alone...why will you even care..!? I doubt whether I'm adopted.. Seriously...you people have no sense of decision making..."

The members of the family cared least of her tantrums and calmly continued their chores, while Jai stood, leaning against the pillar, looking at her with adoration.

"I'll go with Vennu..." He declared, breaking the shrill flow of words from her mouth. "She is right...its not safe for her to go alone..." She looked into his eyes, and he looked at hers. He winked, making her feel a current down her spine. She batted her lashes and turned away, smiling.

"Why will you take troubles son?" Vennela's mother pat his head.

"It's not a matter of trouble...but of responsibility... And of love..." He whispered the last words to himself for he knew he was falling for her.

The village was in peaceful slumber and the Sun had decided not to disturb it. It was 4 in the morning and Vennela slept, hugging her pillow, having beautiful dreams of her extremely handsome Bava. Before she knew what hit her, she had tumbled of her bed and heard the same old orderly voice. "Wake up Lazy! It's already four! Your Bava is having his coffee already! "