A Crevasse of Fears

I sat on the rocks by the shore, watching the waves crawl along the beach, then retract their talons and retreat back to the larger body of water.

A large crevasse filled with my fears -

my fears of the sea.

I stood up and began walking out further onto the rocking pier - further out into the water. I knew it was dangerous, but fearing the water was what a wuss would do - I'm a man, not a boy. I can handle myself just fine, and with that - I can conquer my fears.

As I walked further into the cold water - I could feel their agony, their ear-splitting screams as they were dragged down to the depths of Hell. I could feel the constriction in their lungs - the panic in their minds and the fear as they saw their loved ones perish before their eyes.

The hatred they felt moments before they died - moments before those creatures devoured their souls, leaving them as corpses with nothing to send to the waiting land.

Disrespecting the dead.

I felt the rage building up in my blood as my fists clenched and my teeth ground together.

Through all of my anger - I did not notice that the bone-numbing water was already up to my torso, freezing the rest of my body into a standstill.

My feet had moved of their own accord, almost as if the ocean was calling me - beckoning me to come closer, singing my name in a dialect I did not understand.

The voice was enchanting - so beautiful, so clear and pristine, but at the same time - I was unable to hear what it was saying. I had to know what it was saying. I needed to know what she was - what this songstress looks like. Surely she was as fair as Aphrodite herself to match such a charming and enticing voice.

I had to find out.

I found my legs moving on their own accord - their presence a ghost to the rest of my body, and I realised I was wading through the deadly sea - the same sea I feared with every fibre of my being. I was heading towards a large rock in the middle of the ocean.

I didn't know how far out it was, but I knew that I didn't care - and that no matter what, I was going to get there.

Finally reaching the boulder, I dug my nails into the hard stone, pulling myself up onto the top. The cold water left my body only to be replaced with a chilling wind that left all my limbs numb and frozen.

I felt my body slowly sliding down the side of the rock, and quickly grabbed the ledge beside me.

Only to find that I couldn't. My body was still frozen stiff - and the waves were coming closer and closer, biting at my toes as it slammed at the boulder's edge. I tried to wiggle back up to the top to be safe, but I was unable to do anything, and slid into the water.

I knew I wouldn't be able to resist the water. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep above it, to beat the current and make it to the mainland and back to my home, where the warmth of my bed will keep me safe from my fears.

But the sea's too strong. I'm in a constant tug-of-war with the water.

A tug-of-war for my breath.

Suddenly, it felt as if I was being dragged down into the dark, murky depths of the ocean. My hands slipped from the rock, and I felt myself submerge into my liquid fears.

Bubbles from my nose ascend to the surface, and I'm frozen in a state of shock - calm, but not calm at the same time.

Time seemed to stop ticking as I slowly descended towards the ocean floor.

And then - just as fast as time had frozen, it clicked back into speed - like the pieces of a watch slotting into place.

Everything hit me like a tsunami.

My limbs sprung back into action - flapping around frantically without control. The water rushed into my nose as I began to breathe in a panicked manner. It washed into my lungs, and I spluttered - only to have more water fill my lungs.

As I flailed around and breathed in water - my limbs began to feel heavy, as the fatigue from earlier silently creeped in. My eyes slowly began to flutter closed as I felt a strange presence.

Was this the end?

Hi! 🐚What do you guys think so far? I'm re-doing the book as it really sucked

Hi! 🐚
What do you guys think so far? I'm re-doing the book as it really sucked... LOL.
So... Feel free to Comment, Vote - all that jazz...
Smooches! 💋