Chapter 2

Childhood did not exist for him.

He realized very early on he was not like anyone else.  He could see anything, hear anything, even smell the scents of the city around him.  Yet he was invisible.

No matter how he tried, no one would look his way.  That's when he realized....he could see through his fingers.   He could see his feet. 

No one else could see through themselves.  No, the woman buying hotcakes gripped them no problem.  She shook the sellers hand, seeming to actually touch flesh to flesh.  Why couldn't he do that? 

He was different.

The first time he realized that not everyone could imagine themselves in a place and immediately be there was jarring.  Regular people in the normal realm couldn't jump a wall with a mere thought. 

He was strange.

He didn't realize what he truly was until the hot summer of his fifteenth season.  He was sitting in his favorite spot by the market.  Under a tree, a rare one that had survived in the desert sun.  He loved the shade, the fact that he could see everything from the clearing.  Especially because of the beautiful girl that came and sat under it each morning.  Just for a minute or so, enough that she could drink form her half-empty canteen, then would be off running again. 

She delivered messages, he'd figured.  She'd once dropped one of her folded papers. He'd only been able to see the front page, but on it was most assuredly words. 

Words he did not understand of course, not being able to read.  But it was common sense. 

She had been sitting under that tree beside him that morning.  The golden sun reflected beautifully off her tan skin, her delicate fingers rifling through her goods.  He heard her counting each one, making sure she had the correct amount. 

He didn't see the woman until she was a looming shadow above them.

"What are you doing, girl?" She barked.

The girl jumped to her feet.  "Nothing ma'am.  Sands, I was only restin'.  Water you see."  She shook her canteen, showing the woman how empty it was. 

"I don't pay you to rest, girl."  To his shock, the woman slapped the girl on the face.  The beautiful girl didn't look surprised.  Only rubbed her cheek and stared at the ground. 

Ashamed.  This girl thought she deserved the slap.

"Sorry ma'am." 

Another slap.

The burly, sour-faced woman grabbed the girl by her tattered dress.

Another slap.  

"I'll teach you not to be lazy, girl.  If it's the last thing I do, I'll teach you."  

For the first time in his entire life, felt himself grow angry.  Frightened.  Emotions swirled in him until he couldn't hold it in anymore.  He stood, and even though the woman could not see him nor feel him, he shouted. "Leave her alone!"   Then promptly swung his fist toward her face.

His hand passed through the woman, doing no damage like he'd expected.  

But the words...they echoed. 

The woman's eyes glazed.  Then she returned, shaking her head slightly.  Then promptly let go of the girl and turned around.  "I will leave her alone." She muttered.