Only a Matter of Time

ElenaPOV

I heard the incessant clicking of a pencil on a desk. The occasional screech of chalk on the blackboard. I was at school physically, but mentally I was somewhere else altogether. I was always on my toes, waiting for the original hybrid to to make a reappearance in Mystic Falls. Waiting for him to come and murder me... again. I could still feel his razor sharp fangs piercing the tender flesh of my neck. I felt him draw every last ounce of my blood from my body. Watched as the light around me would  fade into darkness.

I didn't sleep much anymore, because every time I shut my eyes, even for a second I watched the sorrowful expression on Jenna's face or watched as he tore Jules' heart from her chest over and over again. I saw his expression, pent up anger, anticipation, and pure malice. I would wake up covered in a grimy layer of slick, cold sweat.

I jumped at the creaks in my ancient house. Thinking that tonight was the night I was going to die. People learned early on not to sneak up on me.

The constant paranoia was eating me alive, but I knew it was only a matter of time before the demon from my darkest hour would return, and I would meet my permanent demise.