10

Kid Flash

Wow. Oh wow oh wow oh wow.

I'm screwed. Really. I mean it, this time.

Jinx broke out. JINX BROKE OUT!

"Jinx broke out," a guard says to me as I come to a stand-still next to his truck, one of the many that are circling the surrounding area and the prison grounds. "We'll find her, and take her back in."

"Jinx didn't break out," I say, my voice sounding distant and detached. I'm surprised how easily the lie comes. "The guard who let out Jinx…uh…fainted, and I went to take him to the infirmary, you know? So I, uh, tried to pick him up and carry him through the place, and Jinx stopped to—uhm—tie her shoe! Yeah, she stopped to tie her shoe, and she called for me to wait for her, but I didn't hear her, so I kept going. She got lost, though, and freaked out and ran. She didn't break out," I repeat.

The guard stares at me for a moment, questioning, but decides that he can trust me. I mean, I put half these guys in this prison myself.

"Alright then," he says. "As soon as we find her, we'll just have her sign that document stating that she's free, yadda-yadda-yadda."

I sweat-drop. Thank God. "Thanks," I tell him weakly as I let out a sigh of relief. "I'll find her on my own, don't worry. You should make sure everyone else is…uh…secured," I say, remembering the loose murderers Jinx shoved between herself and me as she made a break for it. I think I knocked them out, though, so hopefully they won't prove hard to round up again.

The guard shakes my hand, gives the order to call off the search for Jinx over his walkie-talkie, and heads back to the garage.

Satisfied that the rest of the guards are turning in too, I speed off, not knowing where I'm going, but all the while praying that Jinx will turn up.

Within a few seconds, I'm back in the metropolitan part of Star City, and I immediately decide to start the search at my place. Because she wasn't awake when I took her there, she won't know how to get there, but I've got to try. And if she isn't there, I've got a supercomputer I can use, which could hopefully help me track her down.

I vibrate through the door of my place and call out her name. "Jinx! Are you here?" No answer. So instead I go to my computer and start pulling up all my contacts, the Flash and Raven and the S.C.P.D. and Speedy and my Aunt Iris. Only the S.C.P.D. is online, (and I can see why, it's probably about 3 a.m. now), and I'm not feeling particularly up to consulting with those boneheads, so I have to do this on my own. But because I know that I have nowhere else to start, I hack their phone line and listen for any details or cries for help for a robbery, outlining a girl stealing money or clothes or plane tickets or all of them.

Just my luck-there's nothing that matches a description of Jinx.

Frustrated, I then hack into the Star City Savings and Loans account information, trying to find maybe some sort of suspicious withdrawal.

Stupid computer! It's so slow! It takes an entire five whole seconds to access the info! If I was powering my computer, it wouldn't have even taken .5 seconds.

…Finally! As I take a look through the recent withdrawals, I find an account that was emptied entirely…about two minutes ago. It was done online (the bank systems are slowly catching onto the miracle of the internet), the account was entirely liquidated and the money was wired to an ATM a few miles from here.

I look at the account owner's name, hoping it'll lead me directly to Jinx.

…BINGO! Who's the COOLEST KID ALIVE? IT'S KID FLASH, BABY!