Chapter 29

^^ Chris ^^

Nick's pov

I knocked on my brother's apartment door and waited until he unlocked it.

"Nicky!" My brother said then pulled me in for a huge hug much to my surprise.

"Come on in." Chris said while patting my back and guiding me through the door.

I stepped inside the spacious studio apartment and looked around. "Wow. This is nicer than the last one you had."

"Yeah. It's great isn't it. You want something to drink?"

"Yeah sure. A coke if you have it." I answered and walked over to the floor to ceiling windows that over looked the city.

"Dude you have a freaking awesome veiw."

My brother laughed from behind me as I heard the fridge door slam shut.

"That's the reason I snatched it up bro."

"Damn." I muttered and tried to imagine myself living in a place like this.

But what came to mind was a small house with a yard for Shania and a stupid grin filled my face.

Chris nudged me and handed over a coke zero. I looked at it then back at the soda.

"I don't have coke. It's either this or water."

I shrugged then took the soda. "Thanks." I answered then cracked it open.

"How's my beautiful niece? I haven't seen her in a while."

I smiled. "She's great and growing up so fast. She told us about a boy in her class name Matthew who was teasing her and Julie gave her the 'he does it because he likes you speech' and I almost had an heart attack. I swear man. I think I'm not going to cope in her teenage years."

Chris laughed loudly then went to sit on his leather couch. "Well maybe you both should start making a brother for her so he can deal with her dates."

I gave Chris a look then took a long drink of my soda.

"Wait. You guys haven't done the deed yet? But you've been staying there for two months already."

"I can wait."

Chris gave me a strange look. "I hope you're not going to go out and look for it else where."

"What? Hell no! I'm not going to hurt her like that. I've lost them before and I'm not going to risk losing them ever again."

My brother continued studying me then finally nodded. "Good. Because if you hurt her, and I don't care that you're my little brother, I will deal with you. She's like a sister to me and I will do everything in my power to protect her and Shania."

I nodded. "I know man. And I'm very grateful that you've been looking out for them. But I'm here now, and it's my responsibility to take care of them, myself."

Chris nodded and gave me a smirk. "Are you telling me to back off dude?"

"Yeah. I am."

His laughter filled his apartment. "Then I will brother. I'm glad that you're finally growing up."

Chris wanted to go out for lunch since he had nothing edible and is yet to go grocery shopping. I readily agreed and was going to have a nice steak meal since he was footing the bill.

He took me to a small pub not far from his place and claimed a table at the back. The waitress said hello to Chris and was already writing down his order, she then asked me what I wanted and I told her the steak. She nodded then took our drink orders and walked away.