Chapter 1 - Hufflepuff Pride

"I told you not to watch it."

"It's either I watch it now or get bombarded by spoilers later."

"Your choice, not mine."

Briar and I had started this argument two hours ago. Apparently you can't blame your best friend for being sad over an arc you just finished.

"Anyway, are you up for coffee after school?" Briar asked, trying to change the topic.

"Yeah sure. I have to go by the way, I need to study."

"Is that what Gen Z calls 'watching youtube videos til' midnight'. They call it 'STUDY'?"

"BYIEEEEE" I said hanging up for her to stop guilt tripping me. But, she was correct I was gonna watch youtube videos til' midnight.

NEXT MORNING

"It's still not the right time."

"But, we're running out of time, Jane."

I heard whispers through the thin ceiling between my room and our living room. I don't mean to eavesdrop but I can't help but wonder if the "she" they're referring to is me.

"I'll talk to you later, I know for a fact that Joanna can hear us" mom hangs up and in that moment I knew I was screwed. "Young lady, come down. Now."

"Coming" I run down the stairs and was met by my disappointed mother.

"How much did you hear?"

"Just 5 minutes ago before you hung up."

"Ok, good. And no, you were not the one we're talking about. Not everything revolves around you, you know?"

"Wow. Rude much."

"Keep telling me that and I'm not gonna give you money to buy Hamilton tickets."

"I said you're the best mother in the world and that you're not rude."

"Good. Anyway, you're gonna be late if you don't go now"
She hands me my lunch and kisses me goodbye.

I walk through the streets to go to the subway and while walking I was attacked by two girls, One with short platinum blonde hair and the other one having waist length red hair.

"So, did she agree to buy you Hamilton tickets?" Briar, the blonde, asked.

"I don't know, the message was unclear."

"Maybe she did and you were just too dense to figure it out." The ginger, Jordan, snapped.

"Okay, rude. I'm a ravenclaw, in case you forgot."

"How could I forget? You tell us that everyday like you've just stumbled upon the holy grail."

"Yeah, but we all know that Gryffindor is best." Briar butted in

"We get it, you're a Gryffindor." I snapped back

"HUFFLEPUFF PRIDE!!" Jordan screamed shutting the both of us up. A minute of silence passed and we all burst out laughing.

We reached the Subway, taking us 20 minutes to get to our school, Idlewit High.

Our status in school is a bit confusing. I am known to be the 1st in our Science Class, Jordan is best in Music and Arts, and Briar, believe it or not, is acing History. Apparently, making a whole musical about the founding fathers helps you a lot. We always try to stay on top of our game but, Math is always the one that intrudes our on going success. Now, our social status is not that high in the hierarchy of popularity. I guess you can call us the average people of this high school.

After 9 hours of agonizing pain and suffering. The clock finally hit 3:30 and the beautiful sound of metal hitting metal finally came to life. We were dismissed by our teacher and all the students ran outside as fast as they could so they couldn't reach the announcement for tomorrow's homework.

"I'M JUST TRYING TO EXPLAIN HOW DARK CHOCOLATE IS MUCH BETTER THAN 'MILK CHOCOLATE'."

"Go on." Jordan says, actually interested on her best friend's rant about chocolate.

"DARK CHOCOLATE IS ACTUALLY HEALTHY, DARK CHOCOLATE IS RICHER, DARK CHOCOLATE IS SOMETHING YOU CAN ACTUALLY FINISH UNLIKE MILK CHOCOLATE WHERE YOU HAVE TO TAKE BREATHERS TO CONTINUE EATING!"

Before we left school, Brent decided it was a good idea to give a snarky remark about how Dark Chocolate is disgusting and that Milk Chocolate is better. Obviously, being the Queen of Chocolate Obsession, especially Dark Chocolate, Briar took this to heart and was absolutely triggered. Let's just say Brent had to go home in soaking wet pants and it's not water that caused it.

"Okay, calm down." I butt into her rant.

"I'm just saying. Dark chocolate is the best. And if you've got something to say about that, you'll be facing me. Just saying. I love chocolate. Just not milk chocolate. It makes me wanna throw up and my stomach churn."

After the constant argument about chocolate. We all walked home and said our goodbyes.

Before I could reach the handle of our door, my mom opened it quite aggressively and looked at me with fear and sadness in her eyes.