TWO

Cause I've been trying way too long / to try and be the perfect song / when our hearts are heavy burdens / we shouldn't have to bear alone // - Goodnight Moon by Go Radio

TWO

My frown deepens as Paolo rants his usual lecture that he wants us to hear. We are gathered in the one of the rooms of his huge garage. It's always the same things: death threats, fluent profanities, long and boring speech about the bombings and all those rubbish things we hear every damn night. I can barely restrain myself from covering my ears.

". . . and so, the time has come for you all. In exactly two days, you will be doing the job. You will all be dead. Prepare yourselves. I'm giving you time to say your hidden feelings towards one another," the asshole waggles his eyebrows at us annoyingly, and his men laugh like it is the best joke that has been told in all of the centuries. I try very hard not to roll my eyes. Diego, one of my companions, snickers and elbows me on the side. I turn my face slightly to glare at him. Is he seriously teasing at this point?

"Shut up," I mutter, trying not to open my mouth too much. I add a low growl to emphasize my point. I don't want another trouble at the moment. I was given a good punch in the stomach earlier because of what I did to Gerard. Ugh, even his name gives me negative chills on the hairs of my arms.

"What was that, Trace?" Paolo doesn't miss a heartbeat. He pushes his way from the men and stands in front of me. I still tower over him, but he is way bulkier and stronger. Well, screw me. On second thoughts, please don't.

I blink once and say, "I was just wondering where." I try to sound curious and collected.

"Where? You gotta be more specific, kid."

"Where are we gonna plant the bombs?" I ask, making my voice quieter. Wow, I want to smack the shit out of this devil.

"Oh. I forgot to inform you all," Paolo states confidently, now addressing everyone, "that we will be bombing the buildings of the biggest drug dealer in all of North America. While you die, my men will be out there gathering all of the drug shit from his hidden compound, and I'm gonna be so motherfucking rich! Those Forbes' fuckers can suck my cock!" he snickers and pats his lap. "Now, I will not be saying his name because it is irrelevant. I have waited many years for him to be at his most vulnerable. You will all be dropping bombs in several places. I'm going to need you all. Now, don't worry. I'm gonna think about leaving each of your families a penny or two. I'm not that heartless." He strides in front of us and smiles condescendingly. I want to pull all of his teeth out. Wow, all this for some stupid drugs? I know, I know. Those drugs will make you awfully rich. That's why I want to put a dagger straight into all their hearts.

I dare sneak a peek at the faces of the others beside and behind me. They all have the look of worry, anger and fear etched in their faces. I know this is going to happen soon. I feel helpless, for the first time in my life. Florence lands his green eyes on mine, and I send him a look of helplessness. He tries to lift the corners of his mouth to resemble a smile, but he ends up grimacing. I shrug and turn away from him. I might as well  treasure these last few moments while I am still breathing.

Paolo seems unaware of our reactions. Well, either that, or he is just plainly being blind. He stands there with his huge hands on his hips, looking smug and cheerful. Have I mentioned how much I want to murder him?

"Now, now. You will all be sent to inspect the places where you will be planting the bombs onto. Right now."

Paolo's men start shoving us towards the exit of the room. We form a line and enter the secluded trucks that are all owned by Paolo. I bow my head as I enter the black truck and sit on one of the empty spaces. Rupert, one of my companions, sits beside me, and Florence on the other side. I am still looking down, because Gerard the ugly fuckface is watching my every move. I can smell the foul, fishy breath of his mouth. Ugh, this dude is unhygienic, and this ironic statement is coming from me. Me, one of the hostages. If that isn't saying something, I don't know what is.