Prologue

Somewherein Ceredigion, Deheubarth, Cymru

Medieval Wales

Late Fall 1170 A.D.

The fog in the early morning air wasparticularly succulent.

While succulent wasn't a term thewarrior would normally use to define the miasma, it seemed to sum upthe feelings he pondered over and over until his head throbbed.Things bothered him, worried him, kept him up all night.

No. Things didn't bother him. Shebothered him.

The mistswirled around his boots; gentle, lacy tendrils fingering its waythrough the lacings and up under his wrap. If this aggravatedhim, he didn't show it. Instead he watched as the settlement slowlycame to life in the early dawn. Low voices began to ebb from thecovered openings of homes; to his left, a baby began to cry.

That one would be Deidre's get. A girlrumored to have his eyes. Deidre started that rumor, fueled it withflame from aged wood, but both knew he had not lain with her sincethat drunken night 11 moons...

He shook his leonine head, to ridhimself of cloying, unhealthy thoughts. No, best not think about it.He was seeking comfort; she gave him it to him. It dawned on him shemight come from her hut, find him close by and this was enough to gethim moving again. A faint glow came from the old Druid's hut, so heheaded towards the dwelling.

Aelhaearn looked up from the centralfire as the animal skin that served as a door and screen was pushedaside. "Meaurig," he spat in feigned ill humor, "you shouldlearn to warn a man before walking into his home." He threwsomething into the flames and watched the sparks rise towards thesmoke hole. "You could have interrupted me in the throes of makingsome wench scream for joy." He nodded to the not-quite womancrouched in the shadows. "Glenys, be a good lass and fetch foureggs from the henhouse. Two for me, two for our unexpected, rudeguest."

"What? And be graced by the sight ofyour bony, pasty arse-cheeks, flapping in the air?" Meaurig leanedover and touched the girl on the shoulder as she slipped around him."Get two eggs for yourself and put on a cloak. 'Tis chilly out."Her mouth opened in protest. "If your grandfather as much as raisesan eyebrow for you taking two eggs for yourself, tell me and I'llread his entrails before the next battle!" Meaurig winked at herdeviously, catching her grin as she sped through the entrance way.

"You'll spoil her." Aelhaearnremoved the pot on the fire and replaced it with a flat sheet ofhammered iron.

"You already have." Meaurig settleddown to the man's right. "It's past time for her to be tendingher own hearth."

"I know it, you know it, but who willtend mine?" More dust was thrown into the coals, causing moresparks and colors to flare. A strange, unusual scent filled the air."I wanted to talk to you-"

"No."

"It's past time you found someone totend to your hearth."