Chapter 06

Whenthe Ribbons Dance

Chapter6

WinterSolstice was coming closer, and with it, snows and colder weather.The sun hid behind clouds that didn't rain nor snow, just kept thecountryside in a dark, deep, dreary funk. A fire kept the home warmand a well-thatched roof kept it dry, but Bronwyn found that Glenyswas keeping herself more and more at Efa's, Efa rarely came to herbrother's hearth, leaving Bronwyn to keep the home clean and tocook the meals. At best, Bronwyn was a barely passable housekeeperand while she appreciated free room and board and had no problemcleaning up after herself, she found herself succumbing to the mostretched of diseases - cabin fever.

Toadd to the bleakness of the mood, Aelhaearn himself was not thecongenial and merry host he had been for the previous four weeks. AsBronwyn feared, the moment he guessed Hywel would not reignvictorious and take his father's crown, but rather Cristiant'ssons would, it was if he had given up on life. For him, hope wasgone, his mood was a dreary as the weather outside. He moped, wassnappish. He complained of her cooking skills, or lack thereof, herinability to keep a decent house. Bronwyn had taken to bundling upand going outside to wander, even if it was just to the remnants ofthe back garden. Anything to get outside and leave the angryatmosphere. She herself feared she would demand he send her back andin fact was quickly coming to the conclusion that might be best,despite her promise to Meaurig. Madoc was real, he lived, at leastfor now he lived. In her heart, she no longer needed to prove heexisted, much less present a paper backing her findings up. There wasnothing academic about what she now knew. She was settled in herheart; this little obsession was over. Madoc lived and existed, andshe was fine with that. Did it matter if he became Madoc, theExplorer? Her curiosity was sated. But the niggling scholarly voicein the back of her head continued to pester her.

Didhe really become 'Madoc the Explorer'? Would he return fromPentraeth? If he did return from Pentraeth, would he return wounded?Return on his own two legs? Would he return angry that she didn'ttell him, warn him?

Andwhat of Meaurig? Would he return from Pentraeth? She was under nodisillusion of the remote possibility that he'd stayed behind. Hisplace was beside his brother and there was no doubt he had ridden offwith Madoc. Would he live? Die? If he lived, would he hate her aswell? Aelhaearn told her often the Meaurig had feelings for her.Hell, Madoc had stated that same so-called fact once. If he did havefeelings for her, he certainly had a strange way of showing it.Personally, Bronwyn didn't believe it. The man kept his distance,only acknowledged her during conversation at the table.

Well,he did accompany her anytime she went to town...

Andthere was that kiss...

Andthat promise. Was it a desperate plea, a plea from a man who fearedhe wouldn't return?

Asnowflake landed on Bronwyn's nose. The drop of wetness jolted herfrom her thoughts and brought her back to reality. Staying here wasbecoming difficult at best. This wasn't her time, her home, herplace. '

Sheneeded to come up with an alternative plan.

~~~...~~~

Trueto Meaurig's promise, Cynrig the Butcher came by each morning toescort Bronwyn to town, if she needed to go. Initially, she refusedthe courtesy, however after several days of nowhere to go except thegarden, she went if for no other reason, to get out of the cottageand leave Aelhaearn to his morose speculations. She missed the joyfulold man and understood why he was so irate, but she wished he wouldtake it out on someone else. Glenys certainly knew the man's moodswings and was staying away. With the snow and cold, traffic movingin and out of the town had stopped to a crawl. Only messengers onofficial business or someone with an emergency, determined place tobe, were traveling on the road. On her first foray into the village,Bronwyn discovered Meaurig left several stipends for her, includingthe local tavern. 'Apparently',she smirked to herself, 'he knewAelhaearn's mood swings and left provisions.'