Chapter One (RS1)

A sharp pain stabbed through Phil's skull as he smashed against the side of the escape pod he was in. He barely got in and pushed a button, when the pod was blasted away from the two spaceships behind him that exploded, and propelled him to the Earth. He got up quickly and woozily to try and strap in to the seat, and fully realized the situation he was in once he sat down.

He went through years and years of his life, going through elementary school, middle school, high school, and started college. And then he died and woke up, only to find out he and his friends were part of some sick experiment. He was barely a ten-year-old, and his whole life was practically a lie.

To Phil, the beginning was a decade ago, but to any outsider, it was a little less than one week ago.

___________________________

"grooooan..." I exasperated, clearly bored out of my mind. I was sitting in a simple beige classroom, with a boring teacher, two boring student desks, and two boring windows.

"I've been sitting here for two hours straight," I narrated to myself, "listening to addition facts."

"All because I teased somebody, I'm in a special class. I don't even have a smart teacher." I said, rolling his eyes.

"Right now," i sighed. "I'm as free as a bird in a bird cage." I glared at the oblivious teacher swinging his stick around and pointing at a math problem on the board that was clearly wrong.

"Alright, that's it. I'm getting out of this school."

The teacher, Mr. Kahm, cut off my monologue. "What's 131+42 again? I forget."

I let out another obnoxious 'groooooooan' and smacked my head against my desk.

I got up from my chair decidedly, and started to formulate a plan. I looked at the two boring windows, the cracks in the walls, Mr. Kahm, his desk, the sharpener that was next to the door-

"That's it!" I exclaimed. I grinned at my genius plan, and put it into motion.

"Hey teacher! Could I sharpen my pencil?"

"Only one person at a time!" I rolled his eyes. There's only one person in this class.

Putting that aside, I went to the pencil sharpener, reached for it, and then took a sharp right turn, escaping from the "Special Class For the Insane" as it was strangely labeled.

"Now that was sharp!" I cringed at my horrible pun. I can't believe I said that.

I was just about to turn and go out the doors to freedom, but then I remembered that the doors were closed during school hours.

"I bet the principal has the keys. I was there yesterday, and then I got sent to that class. ...Only last time, I was with the teacher." I sighed.

"It'll be harder this time." I checked my pockets. "I don't even have a hall pass." I remembered the last time I was in the hallway. "There's a hall guard right before you reach the hall's end. Well, it's all the way down the hall and past the teachers' lounge." I smirked.

"If I can make it there, I'm as good as free!"

I decided to check the lockers while walking, because there were barely any kids in the school, and some were known to hide things in many empty lockers. I came across the water fountain, and Ms. Cophey's class, deciding not to go in for fear of getting in trouble. I checked the lockers some more, and found—Jackpot!—a hall pass!

I headed down the long and dreary hallways, passing the janitor's closet and the two bathrooms, where I came across the hall monitor.

"Hey, it's me, Richy, the hall guard. Got a hall pass? 'cause if you don't, you can't pass."