3

"Is everything alright?"

   Virizion melts at Espeon's concerned silky voice. Virizion puts on the best smile she can: close-mouthed, slight, and farce. A sigh passes the green Pokémon's maw. "Yes. Just tired is all." Her voice is quiet, but rigid and stiff, trying not to bend to her emotion.

  Looking in Espeon's eyes, Virizion can only feel guilt. Her companion looks painfully sympathetic, hurting knowing that something is wrong. "Virizion... You know I can sense how tense you've been since we've been to the Glacier Palace." Espeon's psychic abilities. She senses Virizion's edge past her dismissive words.

   "You don't need to worry about me," Virizion caves in. Without thinking she reveals that she isn't okay, but she isn't going to open up yet.

  "I do! I know what's bothering you." Espeon was suddenly insistent and bold. "You've been doing so well. Like you were when we first met..." She slumps as she trails off. "The next time I saw you, you changed so much. You were so bitter and cold, and you shut yourself from the world. Don't throw away friendship again!"

  "Espeon-" Virizion begins but cannot finish. 

  The smaller Pokémon's gaze shies away. Anger bubbles under her calm surface, anger that Virizion can sense past her glazed eyes. "I'm sorry... I-"

  "Are you mad at me? For feeling hopeless again, that is. Going back to wanting to shun the world away." And you, and the rest of Paradise, Virizion continues, unspoken. Espeon releases some anger in a shallow sigh.

  "No... No, I'm not, Virizion. I couldn't be!" Espeon swallows. "I want to help you. I-" She gathers her composure and her face is suddenly stony. "I'm mad at Keldeo."