22.

So Percy had made it a habit to show up unexpectedly at my house.

Not that I minded, of course. My parents had yet to come home from their trip to God knows where, and I was home alone from the moment I came home from school. Closing weekend performances started tomorrow, and I was honestly kind of upset. I, shockingly, loved the entire process way more than I thought I would. Percy had even convinced me to try out for the musical next year.

I was playing my keyboard in my bedroom, trying out a new piece my teacher had given me a week or so ago. All my homework had finally been completed, thank God. Finals were coming up in a few weeks, however, and I knew that soon enough I'd have mountains of homework piling up on me every night. Four AP classes is not delightful during finals week.

I heard a quick knock and I clenched up with fear instinctively. Then, I quickly remembered Helen would never knock at the door. She would just slam the door open. As I made my way downstairs, I wondered who exactly was waiting for me at the door. I opened it and was greeted with the sight of my boyfriend leaning against the doorframe with a smirk on his face.

I raised my eyebrows. "And you are here because....?" I asked him teasingly.

"Well that's no way to greet your boyfriend," Percy remarked while leaning down to peck my cheek. "I just want to hang out."

"Well someone's a little needy." I rolled my eyes. "Come on in."

"Sweet," Percy grinned, ambling on past me. "What were you doing before I got here?"

"I was just practicing a new piece on the piano," I told him while leading him up the stairs to my bedroom. I became a little embarrassed when I realized what Piper would say if she realized that I was leading Percy up to my bedroom with no parents in the house.

Percy seemed to be taking in my small, cozy bedroom. The walls were painted a dark shade of grey and a white desk sat beside a huge bookcase. In another corner of the room sat my keyboard with a large stack of sheet music beside it.

"Rachmaninoff?" Percy questioned while picking the piece off the piano. I nodded and he grinned. "Classical is nice, but I'll always prefer alternative and musical theatre."

I shrugged. "I know a bit of Ed Sheeran."

Percy's face lit up. "Do you know how to play 'Photograph?'"

Nodding, I replied, "Actually, yes. You want to duet?"

"Absolutely," Percy grinned while sliding down onto the piano bench next to me. "Apollo is always telling us how he loved it when we sing together."

I was remembering how to play the opening notes when I heard the front door slam downstairs. Quickly filling with fear, I shoved Percy towards my closet. "You need to get into the closet now," I warned, shoving him towards the closet.

"Why?" Percy asked, his eyes filled with concern.

I shushed him. "Please trust me. Get inside, stay quiet, and don't come out until I come in to tell you it's okay. Please just get in."

Percy nodded apprehensively and stepped inside of the closet. I braced myself for the drunken hurricane of fury I knew was going to be coming into my room.

"Annabeth?" Helen screamed out. "The hell are you?"

"In my room," I responded shakily. My door quickly slammed open and Helen stepped inside with a bottle in her hand and demonic look in her eyes. She reeked of alcohol and cigarettes.